see indiekarma.com for similar approach related to viewing a blog.
i had talked to indiakarma about doing an integration with
fundavlog.comback in August.
it's an interesting approach to micro-payments than can be further developed
for media.

On 1/28/07, Ron Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   TUBE POINTS!
>
> That's exactly what I was thinking, although i did not have that
> point system concept. That's pretty slick.
>
> Is there any value add that we could offer as content creators for
> making a point system attractive for viewers?
>
> I kind of like the sans-advertising concept, but I'm not sure I want
> to advertise any large companies on my work. There is a very short
> list of businesses I would consider allowing to sponsor us, and most
> of them are very small scale and have little advertising budget.
>
> I hope we can continue this conversation, and although I am a bit
> concerned that Mike was unable to come up with a workable solution,
> perhaps we could build off of this TUBE POINTS concept and put our
> collective heads together.
>
> So cool, Steve!
>
> ron
>
> On Jan 28, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
>
> > Speaking only as a viewer, Id like to be able to make micropayments
> > without thinking about it when watching content.
> >
> > Its hard to get people to pay if there is a lot of simialr stuff out
> > there for free, but my personal hatred of adverts means Id gladly pay
> > to avoid them.
> >
> > Say for example once Youtube goes ahead with pre-roll adverts, Id
> > rather give youtube $10 which would buy me 100 tubepoints, which are
> > then used every time I watch a video ad-free.
> >
> > From a creators point of view, its easy to get into a trap where the
> > 'problem' becomes seen as being other creators giving stuff away for
> > free and therefore devaluing the wages of other creators. Some VJs on
> > a forum I help run get a bit angry with other VJs who work for free to
> > get started, because they believe it gives the clubs a large base of
> > people willing to work for free, and so less likely to pay them.
> >
> > How small does a payment need to be to be classed as a micropayment?
> > Ive got an XBOX360 which has a marketplace that works on the basis of
> > buying points with a credit card, and then these points are used for
> > buying various things online through the 360, but the amounts in money
> > terms arent that low.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Steve Elbows
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Roxanne Darling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > For sure, the internet has trained *consumers* not to pay for
> > much of
> > > anything online.
> > >
> > > However, what we are discussing here is a business to business
> > > transaction, and perhaps there is tipping point potential. Business
> > > is used to paying for products and services. Many of the original
> > > content producers in the video space do not have the huge audience
> > > size to garner a seat at the table.
> > >
> > > But there is micro-value in the aggregation. A micropayment
> > system for
> > > "b2b" begins to make more sense in the marketplace. It is the
> [...]

Sull
http://vlogdir.com (a project)
http://SpreadTheMedia.org (my blog)
http://interdigitate.com (otherly)