From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Steve Watkins
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 11:11 AM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [videoblogging] Re: Nokia N800 again, and UMPC

Yes its the original Q1, I know there have been some small changes to
newer versions of the Samsung but nothing major.

Im a few month out-of-date with all the models that are out there,
still very early days and my dullest most sensible advice is to wait
as long as possible to see what else appears. If one exists at your
max price but with what looks like all the features you need, then id
be tempted to get it, but like you say you could just get cheapest one
available and get another later.

What sort of thing are you hoping to do with the camera? If there are
any apps in particular that you are hoping to run on the UMPC, I'll be
happy to evaluate them to see how well they run, and how easy it is to
interract witht hem, using the Q1.

Apart from hardware issues, the lack of widespread use of UMPC's so
far, means that theres a lack of software thats been tailored to the
platform, ie tweaking it for the lower res and finger/stylus input,
although I havent actualyl found any compatibility issues that totally
stopped an app from running, they are pretty standard PC's in most
regards.

Im thinking that the biggest leap in spec in the future maybe when
sold state disks are used rather than harddrives, I think samsung have
a version with a 32GB flash drive instead of hard drive, which should
help with speed, ruggedness and battery life, but the price is
absolutely crazy for the forseeable future.

They do make simply lovely video-playback devices but Ive yet to
evaluate whether video recording and editing ont hem feels good at all
or whether it will prove to be painful.

Im not clued up as to common USA fast mobile internet options, but if
you have a phone with net access and the right capabilities, you can
attach it to the UMPC via USB or Bluetooth and use it as a modem for
net access where wifi is unavailable.

Im looking for an excuse to make a few videos that dont require me to
think too hard and get stuck in my usual perfectionist-loop, so if
there is anything youd like to see running on the Q1 just say the word.

Cheers

Steve

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com> , "Robyn Tippins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Steve, do you have the Q1? I really want a camera on board. I am
trying to
> decide on the model I want, though all of them at Dynamism are
attractive.
> I have roughly $2K to spend, but if the Q1 will do me, I'd rather
save the
> $1K. Plus, Intel's releasing one in April so I could use the dough
I save