comment below

On 2/5/07, Deirdre Straughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here's the quote I was looking for:
>
> from http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18111/
>
> "The service must also prove to content providers that Joost really is a
> "piracy-proof Internet platform," a claim made in one of the company's
> press
> releases. Unlike with typical peer-to-peer services, *users will not be
> able
> to upload their own content to the network*, but they will be helping
> transfer encrypted content that Joost supplies through the company's
> central
> servers. The concern is that some users might somehow be able to hack the
> Joost network and use it to send unapproved files, or somehow store
> approved
> content on their personal computer. With the Joost system, users can watch
> content on demand, but they aren't allowed to store it on their hard
> drives.
> Since Joost is currently free, there may be little interest in
> circumventing
> these measures."

Well that settles it for me!  The web has gone crazy with user generated
media and Joost is simply an attempt at building an AOL!  The network effect
is in full effect. If you can't get media in joost out of joost... or get
media out of joost into joost. Then it's joost shit.

Sorry about the pun. :)

This strategy also seems completely 100% at odds with the Firefox platform
on which Joost is built, open source which is pretty much in compatible
technically, legally, and in theory to what their doing.

For christ sak they're taking a web browser for browsing the entire web... a
space where everyone has a voice and a say and making it handle only the
media of a scant few players. Why don't they just release a version of
firefox that only works with AOL content and just call it done.

I thought someone said joost was going to support videoblogs and podcasts?

Well at least I can commence ignoring Joost. I'm sure some needy bastards
will want hollywood content so bad they'll use it.... scratch that... I
don't think Joost will even get off the ground. They're no Apple to convince
the major players they need to step to the table, digital restrictions is
technically, theoretically, and legally at odds with their platform and the
world wide web of media and the very computer as a platform has forever
shifted people's expectations of what they can and can't do with media.

There is no putting the genie back in the bottle... or pandora if you prefer
that metaphor.

I prefer the cornicopia metaphor... we sit on a vast cornicopia of media,
and the last 3 years may only be  on of the first early steps in the making
of a new renaisanse. A digital renaisanse.

So grab a stool, or a log, or a computer chair, and bring your favorite
stories and let's all gather around the great big world wide digital
campfire and share the things that scare us, and make us laugh, and the
things we love and our hopes and dreams for all things great and small.
Joost will not be a part of my campfire in any meaningful way.

Any other metaphors I forgot to cover? :)

-Mike
mefeedia.com
mmeiser.com/blog

So... I'm supposed to use MY bandwidth to help Hollywood distribute its