There is a fellow on the Internet who sells you directions on how to
assemble something like that for round $15 but also sends all the
materials cut to order for about $49.

If I recall correctly, Adam Quirk or someone else on the list tried it
but might have had trouble getting the things to fit together
correctly themselves.

I personally bought one of the new mono-pods with a ball swivel mount
that sits on three small flexible legs.  They've ovly been out for a
couple months but makes following someone walking very steady.  A bit
costly at $160 from B&H Photo.

Randolfe (Randy) Wicker