I made different vlogs for different reasons.  I think I get the
biggest kick out of doing a vlog that gives someone I like/admire
a "lift" real or imagined in life.

It might promote a small business they are creating or just give them
the thrill of "having a video about them on the Internet".

In the first instance, you have to think that someone selling clothes
from a location like Ithaca, New York (Lesbian Sexy Dress Secrets)
gets nearly 5,000 hits on YouTube, 991 on Veoh & probably the same on
Blip (I just discovered you can't get total number of hits on older
videos at Blip and/or I don't know how)--you're talking about 7,000
views.

Some of those must have been dykes or sho-owners interested in
specialty clothing lines.

Other times, you put up a vlog like 'Cat Rescue' which talks about an
organization which seeks "foster parents" for cats and dogs who can
return them if they don't work out, etc.

That has only gotten a couple hundred hits in total so I didn't save
all those animals I'd hoped to.

Other times, its a real thrill to film a subway musician ("Baby
Monroe") and put him on YouTube & see how appreciative he is about it
weeks later.

Same goes for artists with strange niches ("Beth's Barbie Fashions")
making dresses for both dolls and humans out of plastic shopping
bags.  Not wildly popular but she got a real thrill out of it.

I'd say the most important thing about posting video on the Internet
about someone's hobby, art or business is the feeling that you have
this tiny molecue of power and you're giving that person a little
lift.  The lift is mostly spiritual & emotional (as opposed to
economic) but You (or I at least) feel really good about doing it.

The second major reason I vlog is to capture & share "other worlds"
many people have never seen.

It might be just a couple gay teenagers dancing at a Jersey City
Street Fair ("Gay Love Dancing" my second most popular vlog with
22,000 YouTube hits for me and 76,000 for the guy who copied it w/o
permission), or a warm and human chat with a troubled transsexual
("Samantha Dreams of a Sex Change"), or an exploration of NYC's
annual Tattoo Convention, or strange street theater at an S&M Street
Fair.

I'm always looking for great new material.  I knew nothing about the
world of tattooing and S&M until I stumbled through them with video
camera running.

Sometimes, the greatest material is right under your nose.  There's a
big totally blind dog living in my building.  Turns out, it is owned
by a wonderful warm & loving woman who cares for a couple mixed-race
foster children.  The youngest one uses the blind dog for a "pillow"
when sleeping.  The dog never bumps into anything in the apartment,
etc.  Now, there is a story to capture!

And, yes, sometimes I vlog for petty self-indulgent reasons.  I get
mad at people who turn me away from a free movie screening because
I'm "too old" to be their "target audience"--so I film them at their
worse and show them to the world for the fools that they are.

Numbers matter to me only insofar as they are meaningful.  I'm really
let down and depressed when a vlog like "Cat Rescue" bombs.  It means
that I failed as 'savior of the cats' :-).

Otherwise, I've put up a few vlogs recently of a dear friend/roommate
(Marsha P. Johnson) that I knew would bomb.  However, to her friends
and family, it was thrilling to know some footage of her had made it
onto the Internet.

Then, there are times when you cynically film something just because
you have press credentials for a Halloween Parade ("Kiss on
Kissology") and post it knowing it is going to do well.

However, there is no real joy in that because other fabulous footage
you shot the same night of people wearing lights as clothing items,
colorful marching bands & even a montage "Human Flesh in NYC" (which
you thought would fly) bombs.

I've actually gotten "past" numbers at this point.  I have more money
than time left to spend it.  I have been and will continue to hire
helpers while I just pursue videotaping for the sheer thrill of it.

It's only what makes you feel good that is worth doing.

Randolfe (Randy) Wicker

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "R. Kristiansen" <raymondmk@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Since I started videoblogging, I have had this mantra about
focusing
> on "the
> > audience of ten". To treat the audience of my videoblog as a
circle of
> > friends. Friends I would want to show what's going on in my life
at the
> > point. I have had this mantra because I, for instance, did not
want
> to get
> > lost in some numbers-increasing schemes.
>

> I've been thinking a lot about "shows" over the last two weeks.
David
> had some interesting ideas about audiences and subscribers,
especially
> as it pertains to closed environments, that he shared with the
group.
>  This post started me thinking about the ends vs. the means a month
> ago.  I've just recently "gotten over" blog metrics, and re-reading
> Ray's post, I now understand what he means by "numbers-increasing
> schemes".
>
> I think that whether your blog is personal or a show, it's important
> to know what "the numbers" are doing for you.  I mean, YOU...
> personally.  If the answer is "nothing", then they're not worth
paying
> attention to.
>
> A friend of mine studies Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Renzo Gracie's
> Academy.  Because of that, I've been around Renzo a few times, and I
> put a clip of him on my site the other day.  He just had a fight on
> Showtime that ended controversially, when his opponent illegally
kneed
> him in the head while Renzo was "grounded", twice, and was
rightfully
> disqualified, because EVERYBODY knows you can't do what he did.
Since