Howdy All,

Was just doing some research on social capital and I stumbled upon
Pledgebank.com. Excitement ensues...

It occurs to me that while it could be used as an even more open
alternative to HaveMoneyWillVlog it could also be used quite
effectively in tandem with havemoneywillvlog.

I'm extremely interested in the relationship of social capital and
economic capital.  Which is to say the intangible combined assets of a
community such as trust, connectivity, etc, etc... and the
relationship between actual monetary capital.

HaveMoneyWillVlog has been a great experiment.  I wonder however if it
can't be replicated in a more distributed manner, and encourage more
creative, more fun... even a game like atmosphere.

My thoughts are as follows... skip down further for a fun example of
how pledgebank and havemoneywillvlog might combine to create more
creative fundraising.

1) Pledgebank is extremely interesting because unlike
HaveMoneyWillVlog ANY enterprising person can take the initiative and
start a pledge of their choice. For example... "I'll pledge $1000 to X
project if 50 other people pledge $10 or more."

In this means a whole organic model for fund raising may be created.
All a project needs is a great sponsor or patron to take the
initiative. Eventually expertise and best practices will evolve.

In other words pledgebank is *flexible* enough and *open* enough to
handle wide experimentation necessary for innovation in this new field
of P2P funding.

2) Pledging to raise not just money but alternative "social capital"
for a project in the form of visibility, advertising, promotion, or
anything you can dream up.

Projects can be promoted through distributed means... blogging, shared
banners, email... each one of these channels can signify the trust of
the person promting it truely reflecting the communities social
capital/trust/karma and buy in.

Think of promoting a pledge as karma points (aka. whuffie, a Corey
Doctorow term, see wikipedia)... these links being a symbolic currency
of social capital, while that actual money is a the tangible
monetization of that capital....  In that way the correlation between
the two can be endlessly explored and capitalized on... explored to
the point of gaming.

For example, "I'll pledge $1 to X project for everyone who blogs about
the project."

This creative exploration between social capital and economic capital
could compound the effectiveness of campaigns to fund projects. :)

Again... this is not something that can currently be done with the
rigid havemoneywillvlog alone... all one can do is donate... or blog
about donating... and that's no fun. :)

3) ownership...  pledgebank, because anyone can get creative with
pledging,  allows more sense of ownership and involvement, more buy in
from the community since members know they to can start pledges and
not just buy in or agreeing to the intial contract... but BUILD on it.
 In essence getting creative with pledges can be a spirited part of
the game of fund raising itself keeping people involved in the process
until funding goals are met.

4) Transparency = following through.  I've heard many say that people
often welch on their pledges... this is the reason why
havemoneywillvlog processes money up front.  While to some degree I do
agree with this premise I also would like to note that Pledgebank is
transparent... it shows who pledges what.  This transparency (and a
little public scrutiny) should ensure follow through.

5) Pledgebank can have pledges on pledges... you could create another
pledge on someone elses pledge to encourage the main pledge... For
example the main pledge might be... "I will pledge $1000 if 100 others
pledge at least $10"... and another person may pledge, "I will pledge
$100 if four other people will plege $100". This also illustrates how
Pledgebank can be used in tandem with HaveMoneyWillVlog... which is
maybe the best thing about it of all.

6) Pledgebank and HaveMoneyWillVlog in tandem!   As the above point
illustrates anyone could create a pledge on a HaveMoneyWillVlog
campaign to add an additional incentive to the pot, Pledgebank need
not be just an alternative to HaveMoneyWillVlog.

7) Non-monetary pledges - In fact a pledge may not have anthing to dow
with money at all. Someone might pledge a peace of equipment to the
project, or some other promotional resource... I.E.  "I'll  pledge the
use of my camera, if someone else pledges the use the use of their
car."  Or "I'll pledge to work on this project on Saturday and Sunday,
if someone can help on Monday."  Or "I'll pledge to cover the plane
ticket if someone else pledges to cover the hotel room."

8) Reputation & Reciprocity....  it would be interesting if someone
could create a "flickr of pledging" where members could build
reputations for pledging, promoting, and creating successful pledges
building more transparency and value into the system and encouraging
reciprocation of good deeds.

I picture some day a site like blip or mefeedia having such a system
built in. So called "projects" sort of like flickr groups, but not
aimed at simply curating, but collaboratively creating.  These
projects might not only have collaborative tools like rough cut
editing and a library of media... maybe wiki space... but also other
tools like fundraising & pledging... maybe one day like a project
management site time lines, goals, milestones and other goodies as
well.

SO, how would this work... a little scenario...

Coming back down to earth here's how I envision Pledgebank working
with HaveMoneyWillVlog.

1) a standard project is promoted for funding on havemoneywill vlog,
like the current project. :)

2) a big fan / patron of that project pledges on Pledgebank.com some
seeder capital like $500 if 100 other people will pledge $10 or
more... they tell HaveMoneyWillVlog people about it.

3) The HaveMoneyWillVlog people blog about it on their homepage
promoting the person that promotes them.

4) Another project fan comes along and starts a Pledgebank.com pledge
that they'll give $5 (max $100) to the HaveMoneyWillVlog project for
each person who blogs 500 words or more about the project, bonus
points for adding video and images. They tell HaveMoneyWillVlog about
their pledge.

5) HaveMoneyWillVlog blogs about the pledge to promote the project
making their first buck of the pledge, and ten other people
immediately follow suit. :)

6) Another person pledges $5 to the project (max $20) for everyone who
makes a banner and and blogs about it....  Each one of those people
who make banners and blog them thus make $6 a piece by blogging about
it because of the combination of pledges they're fulfilling. Pledges
are now compounding.

7) HaveMoneyWillVlog continues to blog about the ensuing fun and chaos
as do others... furthering the publicity for the project and
attracting more attention.... the fundraising has become a game unto
itself.

8) Meanwhile emails and IM begin to flow back and forth between people
reminding each other to sign the pledges as post proof of their
accomplishments as they complete them.

9) Another user comes along and creates a pledge for anyone willing to
post the newly made banners to their side bar to encourage that the
banners get seen.  The banners eventually end up on thousands of
sites.

10) As pledges get fulfilled the actual funding on HaveMoneyWillVlog
becomes a record of who's pledgine what and why documenting the
various pledges and their success.

11) Another user creates a pledge for anyone on Youtube who will
create a videos about the project or post the project videos to their
youtube account.  Chaos begins to spill into myspace.... later
flickr... and soon people are using PledgeBank to put "bounties" on
other social networks.

11) Pledges get more creative... the process of pledging and raising
money has become a game into itself, simultaneously creating
awareness, visibility, building trust and social capital while raising
money... many are contributing more time than money... some are
contributing more money then time... all are having fun.  People are
encouraged to not only open their pocketbooks but also to use their
creativity and bring other assets and skills they may have into the
game.

So... the concept is... to have a flexible enough funding system to
encourage games that build visibility, enjoyment, alternative and
creative resourcing,  while all the time building trust.

Why... because simply donating to havemoneywillvlog is BORING... and
if you don't have money or have already donated money there's little
to no encouragement for you to contribute in other more creative ways.

I just wonder if a "donation fatigue" will set in like some said after
9/11 and new orleans and the tsunami... or wether this could be a new
and sustainable new form of funding.

I personally have a favorite podcast called WholeWheatRadio that I
absolutely love and miss and want to encourage to podcast again... and
while I was wondering what $50 bucks would get me... I'm thinking
maybe with PledgeBank my $50 can find 100 more people who will pledge
$10 or more.

BTW, I have added Pledgebank.com to the article sull started on
crowdfunding, aka. p2p funding on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P2P_Funding

BTW, I don't know how it became named P2P funding but it's a most
unforetunate name. PeerFunding might be better. The reason is that P2P
networks have no social capital... they're black markets. They exist
in the cloak of obscurity and therefore gain none of the advantages of
an open, lightnet, social network.

Peace,

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog