Rupert, I agree that we are all filmmakers.  Indeed, even some of the
old 8mm and hi-8 cameras have created amazing films like "51 Birch
Street" (and another documentary that someone used to tell the story
of his life growing up).
However, "filmmaker" is not specific enough.  We're all
(mostly) "Americans" also. "Filmmaker" really doesn't describe
the "new" no-gatekeepers, even-copyrights-be-damned, relatively-
uncensored, free-speech-stage we are using at this time.
We are living in a special time, like the 1960s, which some day soon
may well be only those warmly-remembered "good old days".
In the 1960s & 1970s, friends and employees used to sit in front of
my shop in Greenwich Village and smoke grass openly.  Those days are
long gone.
There were wild strip & sex shows all over NYC. No more!
You could set up tables on the street (as I did) and demand the local
Police be investigated for refusing to investigate a murder or other
crime.
We are in the "Wild West Days" of Internet video.  Wait and see!
The "Status Quo" folks will soon have your videos deleted for having
a few bars of copyrighted music 'intruding' on a scene and/or for
your refusal/inability to produce signed (perhaps notraized) releases
from people walking by in the background.
I think we are media pioneers, people in the street documenting all
kinds of things "without a permit".
Is Josh Wolf just another 'media person'?  If he was, he wouldn't be
sitting in jail.
"Loose Cameras" and/or "Unregulated Media-makers" and/or "Internet
Video Agitators" describe us better than "filmmakers".  Filmmakers
have been around since the late 19th Century.  We are the new media
of the 21st Century.
I'd embrace some new term like "vidist" before I'd
embrace "filmmaker" as a description of myself.  My friend said that
anyone could create new words.  All you have to do is simply "throw
them out" and (sometimes) people will just pick them up and start
using them.
I think "fanvid" is an excellent example of that.  Fanvids simply did
not exist and were virtualloy impossible until videoblogging enabled
everyone to participate in the world of Internet video.
Vloggingly yours,
Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
Hoboken, NJ

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think we're all just film-makers.  You don't have to be a
> 'professional' any more.  You're making films.  Like a writer
> writes.  Or a musician musicianifizes.  To classify according to
the
> distribution method is almost irrelevant, now, because it's the
norm.
> I've quoted it before, but here's Francis Ford Coppola in 87/88:
> "To me the great hope is that now these little 8mm video recorders
> and stuff have come out, some... just people who normally wouldn't
> make movies are going to be making them, and - you know -
suddenly,
> one day, some little fat girl in Ohio is going to be the new
Mozart -