--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Peter Leppik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There's lots of ways you can criticize the "vote different" video,
> but I'm surprised you'd go after the technical prowess of the creator.

:)  I didn't criticize the 'technical prowess' of the creator.  I
didn't say that the person doesn't have any skills.  There are lots of
talented musicians that release very simple music on their albums,
because that's what their audience understands and responds to.  That
doesn't mean those same musicians don't have the 'technical prowess'
to play amazing music.

> Yes, it's true that they used a very expensive professional
> advertisement as source material.  So what?

"So What?" is that the original poster asked SPECIFICALLY, and you
still have it quoted below in your reply... "What sort of tools do you
think were used to create the video, (or what tools would you have
used?) How do we help others learn to use such tools and be more
creative in the videos the produce?

Therefore...

The answer is what I said it is.

It's my opinion that professional editing and compositing programs
were used to create that video, which at the time probably amounted to
over $300,000, including the price at the time for Avid's Media
Composer series or Lightworks or whatever else they might have used
that was WAY outside the public's ability to purchase.

Now... is it possible that they re-created the video themselves?
Sure. :)  If they did, it's a weak attempt, because you can see
Hillary Clinton bouncing all over the place as they attempt to
rotoscope her into the monitors that are moving in the shot coming
down the hall.  If they didn't... All they did was cut and paste some
video over an already created video, and to respond to the poster as
if they made this thing from scratch with Windows Movie Maker and a
few of their friends for not very much money is disingenuous.

If you want to see GOOD, DIY Special Effects, watch GALACTICAST!
<http://galacticast.com>.  There are way more effects in several
Galacticast episodes that I've watched that require way more thought,
preparation, effort and skill than went into that one commercial "mash
up".

What would you rather I would have responded with that would have been
truthful and wouldn't have seemed like I was attacking someone for
doing what it is that I feel that they did?  I'm actually interested
in what you would have said.

> The real measure of success is whether it gets the message across.
> Evidently it does, given the level of attention it's getting.

Of course it does.  That commercial was HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL when it was
initially released.  The market research is already done.  The focus
groups have already watched this video, which is why it made it to
air.  People already acccepted it, what? 20 years ago? and received
the message that was in the original video, and they're receiving the
message now.

That's why I said it was like MC Hammer.  If you rhyme over "Super
Freak", people are going to like your record... because... they like
"Super Freak".  It doesn't matter if your rhymes are good or not.
Similarly, steal the treatment and shot selection from a well-known
and highly-successful commercial, and you'll have..... another highly
successful commercial.  Just don't try to get credit for it as if you
came up with this off the top of your head.  AND... Don't advertise to
DIY videomakers that what they watched was created from scratch.  It
gives the wrong impression, AND makes people wonder why they can't get
their video to look like "video x", even though they are posting to
the same website.

Just because it's on YouTube doesn't make it a "YouTube Video".
That's why they're getting sued right now.  Why don't you tell the
poster how he can make a UFC title fight video with his iMovie? :)

> If you can communicate your message using "found" source material, is
> that any less valid than hiring a producer, crew, and editor, and
> doing everything from scratch?

No.  I said nothing about the effectiveness of the video.  I agree
with what you said there.  However.... Nobody asked about "message
communication".  Read it again.  The poster asked "What sort of tools
do you think were used to create the video?"

The message was communicated well, and continues to be communicated
because it's a news story that people keep bringing up.  The fact that
they used "found" material is giving the video as much life as the
fact that it's about a politician.  This is just as good as
lite-brites spread out around Boston! :D

> Thanks to decades of commercial TV, there's tons of old footage out
> there which could be recycled into new products (copyright issues
> aside).  It's nothing new, and we're only going to see more of it.
>
>         -Peter

And I think that's a good thing.

Is that your answer to the poster's question about tools to use to
make a video like that???

???Google???  :D

--
Bill C.