Dirst... on the "largest Internet video distribution network ever
assembled with the most sought-after content from television and
film"... the simply don't get it. And I've come to the realization
that they most likely never will.

Here's the thing.  What's being fought over right now between youtube
and universal is "control" of who gets to host the conversation.  But
that's the thing it IS a conversation... it's free speach.  It's fair
use.  People are "quoting" video... usually in clips less than two
minutes to discuss it and comment on it wildly. Just because people
haven't been able to quote video widely and publicly like they have
books and newspapers doesn't mean it's NOT fair use.

It is fair use... and as such viacom can sue youtube... and NBC can
start some b.s. but the bottom line is if you look at the relationship
of the blogosphere to newspapers... that is the SAME relationship
tradition media companies will have to inevitably deal with.  People
WILL post clips anywhere they choose... the video needs to come to the
conversation... not the conversation to the video... most obviously
because it's quite obvious that players like NBC are completely
incapable of making social websites... and who can blame them... the
social space is still evolving rapidly.

The bottom line is NBC and others attempts at creating their own
social networks or media networks will obviously server some purpose
but 99% of the conversation is going to take place on the blogs, the
myspace's, the youtbe's and thousands of bboards and mailing lists...
and the rreal distribution will take place on p2p, people emailing and
IM'ing urls and otherwise.

NBC's interpretation of distribution is sure to be as obtuse as DRM
itself... the bottom line is people need to be able to download a
video... chop it up with a video editing tool, and re-upload it to
whatever site they choose... wherever the conversation is taking
place, and this is something NBC will never be able to grasp and it's
not just a issue of entertainment... it fundamentally a free speach
issue.

We need the 100's of thousands of political vlogs to be able to
"quote" clips of the new... the daily show... or any program to
discuss them... particularly how these big media companies are
perverting reality.

About the mefeedia issues...

Mefeedia started ot as slackerware... which is not a negative at
all... it was the effort of several people's spare time, invested for
free. It's in transition to be something more. But as such it was not
designed from the ground up to be a publicly mass consume-able site.
In that it's sort of like craigslist... linux... or the original yahoo
or google which all started out this way... but it takes a lot of time
and energy to retroactively re-design, polish and improve the
usability and we hope you'll be patient with us and continue to
provide us with your feedback.

More comments below.

On 3/23/07, Zenophon Abraham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Congrats on the site.  I'm not sold on it from a
> usability perspective.  It's way too busy.  It reminds
> me of Bloglines in its design problems.

I think I understand... as opposed to... an itunes... or a google reader.

Any examples of workflow's or site you like would be great... specific
points are even better.

We've recently revamped the homepage and are trying to simplify, and
clarify it's purpose. It was a huge improvement, but obviously we have
a long way to go.

> The three main concerns of your design should be "Can
> a person easily find the link button to go to his or
> her page?"

your page?  Your profile page? you're inbox? or your feed page?

> "Can a person set up an account with a few
> steps?"

We'd like to think we've made this as simple as possible. The form is
litterally in the homepage, it's extremely short, and we get you
signed up with a few suggested subscriptions and watching videos in
only a few clicks.

> and "Does the site promote vital video
> distribution well?"

"vital video distribution"?   I do think this is maybe the most
important point, but I'm not understanding what you mean.

Obviously mefeedia exists to promote individual videoblogs / podcasts.
Hopefully this is clear from the homepage. Please do elaborate.
What's important to you is what's important to use.

We think you want some place to find, track, and watch all your
favorite videoblogs... but what do you want? Be as specific as you
like.

> The front page throws a lot at one and doesn't have
> that simple "Start Here" button.  I'd do a complete
> redesign here.

We've added a big introduction box to the page that says the following.

Find. Collect. Watch. Share.
2,213,849 episodes from 22,811 video feeds across 13,561 websites
We don't host videos or podcasts. We just help you find the ones you
like. We're independent. We share the love.
Yea baby.

If you're already logged in of course you won't see it. Are you logged
in. I can understand if it's still not clear... there's a lot going on
on the page.

-Mike