i think the elitist label is bullshit.

i think this list is great
people are welcome to rant and rave
and get to the nitty gritty of online video
hell meiser and watkins post novels every day...

and it's insane how much people help each other tirelessly on this list
to figure out tech stuff.

i've been on other lists of videomakers
and people aren't nearly as helpful as on this list.
usually the answers/attitudes are "just google it"
or "go find it on a message board"

so i'd like to sing the praises of this group.

after visiting the cold harsh lists of other video groups
i gladly return to the videoblogging list for a passionate rant
and friendly fisticuffs daily. (ok it's more than that)

as for helping people
watkins are you holding any events?
are you getting people to videoblog?

i think the list you stated
is a good example of what people in this community are capable and willing
to create
and i think that's pretty fucking amazing.
and if you don't think that's enough
it's up to you (and anyone really)
to do something about it.

i love the videoblogging list
no matter how crazy it can get.

-ryanne

On 24 Mar 2007 16:55:12 -0700, Steve Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> I got
> > > all the relevent bits.
> > >
> > > Great aim, I might be remembering wrong but I think part of the
> > > original idea of vlogweek was to encourage others to vlog. Quite how
> > > to achieve this is another question, I dont really know how many
> > > lurkers are on this list that are potential vloggers who havent
> > > managed it yet. As someone mentioned in the chat, youtube (and
> > > similar) certainly lowered the ba to being able to put video online.
> > > And Im not sure I can imagine too many vloggers going on youtube and
> > > promoting this idea of videoblog week. I dunno, its something id like
> > > to see, but Im really still unsure of the nature of any seperation
> > > that does exist between the 2 groups. Would vlogweek seem silly to
> > > some youtubers? Are there people who make videos but dont like the
> > > term blog or think of themselves as bloggers? Scratches head and
> > > wonders if youtubers will spontaneously do something similar
> > > themselves, totally independently, at some unknown time. Or maybe not,
> > > maybe every day is vlogday in youtube land.
> > >
> > > Anyway I never really helped with any education/awareness projects
> > > myself, Im unaware of how active the nodes are these days. Off the top
> > > of my head, if you want to make vlogweek alla bout getting new people
> > > to start, some people have to go and promote the week in advance, in
> > > places where people arent so aware of this thing, to focus all efforts
> > > here or even youtube is preaching to the converted a bit. I suppose Id
> > > also love to know some thoughts from any people who used to vlog and
> > > have now stopped for whatever reason, and wheterh vlogweek can help
> > > focus them to return, or just learn what put them off.
> > >
> > > I was mentioned in the chat as somone who doesnt vlog, and I agree
> > > that I was not a good example of the people you are probably trying to
> > > reach. Frankly it pains me that anybody really cares whether I am
> > > vlogging, I did make 3 or 4 videos years ago, maybe it was even for a
> > > vlog-week, I cant remember. One was me saying hello, one was fireant
> > > being shown on a TV monitor (via tv out from graphics card on a pc)
> > > and one was of NASAs world-wind which is an app like google earth. If
> > > I can get myself sorted to make the sorts of vlogs I want to, then I
> > > shall vlog during vlogweek.
> > >
> > > Funnily enough that stuff Enric was playing with in the chat, animated
> > > avatar stuff, is something I thought might help me or anybody else
> > > that suffers from shyness or self-image issues or something, to vlog.
> > > I have pondered for some years as to whether such things built into
> > > mobile phones, could be a saviour of the failed 'video phonecall',
> > > maybe people dont want to be seen like that but wouldnt mind hiding
> > > behind an avatar if it as ggood enough, and was based on live camera
> > > input for facial gestures etc. Its taking a long time for any system
> > > good enough to emerge on the desktop let alone the PC.
> > >
> > > Collaboration also came up and Im fascinated by the subject but I'll

Pixelodeon-June 9th & 10th
American Film Institute (AFI) LA, CA
http://pixelodeonfest.com/
--