On 3/25/07, Bill Streeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think I got some traffic out of it but it's hard to track because
> they didn't actually link back to my vlog. Which was an oversight on
> the part of the web management people according to the reporter who
> did the piece--and they still haven't fixed it yet. It would have been
> nice to see it linked when the story was actually posted--especially
> since the anchor said on air that it would be linked after the story
> ran... morons.

All I can say is this is why I LOVE your intro... it's an infectious
and GOOD jingle that repeats your name both visually and audibly... lo
fi st. lous rock n roll rock n roll lo fi st. louis.

We must remember while all these "high-tech" things like URLS work in
the webby world in the video world it's all about the age old
cognitive issues... like naratives, story telling, melody, catchy
advertising jingles, repetition, branding and so on.

I think if someone saw the piece and were interested and even remotely
internet savy they'd be able to google you pretty quick with no
problem.

We've discussed brand here on the yahoo group before promting many
people to create their own domain names like michaelverdi.com or
yourname.com... or yourprimaryinterest.com and I'm glad to see most
people are pretty savy.

Also we've discussed always putting your domain name in the outro...
yet more great advice.

Perhaps now it's time to up the anti and discuss the value of DAMN
good intros.  Quite frankly... if I was a professional videographer...
and not just a tech geek who loves vlogs... I'd either make or hire
you and or chriss weagel to make me the best intro ever.

Chri's intro for his sister Sara's vlog "Sara's Corner" was perhaps
the best intro ever.

These intro's are important not just because they're memerable, but
because they remind people about what the vlog is about i.e "rock n
roll, rock n roll" or "it's about me! Sarah!" but because they remind
us of what we love best about these vlogs.

BTW!  The other aspect that I think comes across really well is it's
important to be the narrator and get in front of the camera... One of
the most obvious aspects of the news piece to me is that Bill Streeter
is this guy... and this is what he looks like... and this is what he
likes to do.... hall his "drinking buddy" around to shows and cover
unique and interesting people in St. Louis.

I do wonder... if you bill hadn't started appearing in front of the
camera on occassion in your shows would the local TV network have
bothered to call you.

I think people instinctually gravitate toward people they can identify
with.  And... while it's not for everyone... i.e. me... I do think
reporters, press, and everyday listeners will continue to tune in with
personalities... and not just "shows".  Call it the Ze Frank effect...
I think his insane editing and exagerated focus on personality and
face time drives this point home like no other.  Even more so then
other popular shows like Ask A Ninga, or Rocketboom... Need I mention
"Brookers" or "LisaNova"... if the medium is the message, then the
messages is....

new media is about PEOPLE stupid!

LOL

This goes for blogging and podcasting as well.

Oh, the power of a picture of your face on your profile / blog / video.

To recap...

1) domain name... always include your domain name somwehre visually in your vlog

2) intro... snappy short intros that emphasis what your vlog is about
and who you are... and the name of your vlog rule... because you can't
always expect people to remember a silly domain name... most people
have a cognitive aversion to remembering domain names.

3) get in front of the camera... if you dare... best thing you can do.

That about sums this email up.

Well... I'll shut up now.

-Mike