Weird that.  You'd think they'd be wanting to sell the home cinema
dream.
It will work fine.  It has a component video out and standard RCA
audio outputs as well as HDMI, if you have compatibility for that on
your projector.

I got my brother in law kitted up with a Windows Media Center this
weekend - he only has a projector, no TV, and it was super easy.  Ran
a component video signal out from his standard Nvidia graphics card
to his projector and audio to his surround sound box - badabing.
Same for the Apple TV - it will have all the outputs you need.

Windows Media Center looks great so far, and (I've said it before)
seems a better bet to me than Apple TV. He can put his cable TV
through it, record on it, as well as do all the photo, music and
video management, and play DVDs.  Easy to set up to pick up
videoblogs and podcasts through Newsgator in the Online Spotlight
part of Media Center.

He has music imported into both iTunes and Windows Media so that he
can see which he likes best.  He uses the Windows Media remote, and
we are going to try to do what Steve Watkins was talking about - get
a Wii remote working as a point-and-click wand for his projector
screen. Which would be very cool.

Rupert
http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
http://www.crowdabout.us/fatgirlinohio/myshow/