Eric Skiff managed to get a great venue for PodCamp NYC (the New Yorker
hotel) and I imagine do it on a budget.  I've CC'd him here.

-----Original Message-----
From: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard (Show) Hall
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:53 AM
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Vloggercon venue voting now on the wiki

I have to say that I agree with Jen.

I'm very willing to participate, but I'm not willing to put it together,
so
my vote doesn't really mean a lot, in that I vote to have it where it
will
happen because someone there will make it happen (I'm hoping that
sentence
makes some sense to someone).

... Richard

On 4/25/07, Jen Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   I think what will matter is not the number of people who 'vote' for
> city, but the reality of whether / not it will work there //
> especially regarding who will host and produce the event. My vote is
> that the people actually doing the work (presumably without getting
> paid, as was the case with all of the previous vloggercons) get to
> "vote" more/ have their wishes count.
>
> We in the peanut gallery can demand all we want -- but who is going
> to make it happen???
>
> That's why it was not in New York last time -- organizers tried for
> NYC, but could not get a larger enough venue that was affordable. You
> can "decide" New York / XX-city all you want, but if there's no place
> for the budget we have (or people to do the work of planning the
> event), it ain't gonna happen there.
>
> After a long search in NYC, the Vloggercon 06 organizers started
> looking elsewhere -- and ended up in San Fran at the Swedish American
> Hall. Plus the people working on the event all started moving to San
> Fran. And it's easier to plan an event in the town you are living in
> then somewhere else.
>
> Simply 'voting' and making that be some kind of ruling decision is a
> bit crazy. Maybe the better question is who can plan, host, and do
> this whole gig?? And what cities do those people live in? // Who
> lives in DC who can work on this? Who is volunteering in ___ the
> place you are voting for _____?
>
> Jen
>

> On Apr 25, 2007, at 4:25 pm, Rupert wrote:
>
> > As if I didn't have better things to do than think up ways to decide
> > a venue for a convention I won't be able to attend, I just found
> > myself going through all the emails about Vloggercon from the last 6
> > months and noting down everyone's preferences.
> >
> > If you've said that you're For a city, I've put your name under that
> > city, added up the totals and put it up on a page on the
> > Videoblogging Group Wiki.
> >
> > It's a slightly more web 2.0 way of managing the voting than doing
it
> > by Email here, I guess.
> >
> > So if that's OK, you're now all responsible for checking it, adding
> > or deleting your names and amending the totals.
> >
> > I say we give it a week to decide - whichever city has the most
votes
> > by Fri 4 May wins. Whaddya reckon?
> >
> > Go to:
> > http://videoblogginggroup.pbwiki.com/Vloggercon-2007-Voting
> >
> > You can vote for as many cities as you want. Just click edit page
> > and use the password: surge.
> >
> > Since I quickly compiled this from all the emails with subject
> > Vloggercon on the Yahoo list over the last six months, noting down
> > all preferences expressed, I'm sure there will be mistakes - don't
> > shout, just change.
> >
> > If you think it's a crap idea, fair enough, just say so here.
> >
> > Right, now I'm going to go and get a life.
> >
> > Rupert
> > http://twittervlog.blogspot.com/
> [...]

Richard
http://richardhhall.org