On 5/1/07, Leslye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> with the question did I think that vlogging was far behind.  Have any
> female vloggers had threatening comments or responses?

Aside from the many, many people who are very concerned that my penis
is not large enough, I have not had many threats or disparaging
comments. Early in my text blog days, I had at least one vaguely
threatening exchange with someone when I told him that I would not
give him an invitation code to join LiveJournal. By the end of the
exchange, he was making vague threats that I didn't know what he could
do.

Honestly, I find that vigorous, no-exception, outright blatant
censorship of these kinds of asshats is the very best way to stop them
cold in their tracks. When it comes to my blog, I AM QUEEN and nobody
gets to make me feel like less.

> I have always
> been mindful of the balance of maintaining my privacy while still
> vlogging about my life (however sporadically) - but video is still a
> very personal and revealing medium....

I've stopped trying to keep my online identity (Mortaine) and my
real-life identity (Stephanie Bryant) separate. It didn't work very
well, and was just confusing when I'd need to use a personal email
account to contact someone. In video, I just do what I want to do, so
long as it respects the privacy of others around me. I don't vlog
children without both their and their parents' consent, for example,
even if they're in a public space where otherwise I could claim fair
use.

If the Internet were a real-world workplace, the kinds of things I've
seen even professionals say to one another would get them fired. I
just kind of file it away in my brain as "note to self: don't ever
enter into any transaction with this person." I frankly don't have
time or bandwidth to work or play with people who treat others with so
little respect.

The bigger problem I have are actually vloggers I meet in meat-space.
This may be a local phenomenon, but in the Bay Area, I've had to
interact with more than one videoblogger who gave me the creeps,
fortunately (but not really coincidentally) always in public events.
Since I do presentations and speaking gigs on videoblogging now, I
tend to attract more of the "gum on your shoe" kind of guys showing up
to my events. Not much I can do about it, except rigorously maintain
my personal boundaries and make sure there's always at least one or
more trusted people attending the events with me.

--
Stephanie Bryant
Author, Videoblogging for Dummies