The Panasonic is a sweet camera and would be a great investment for
more high-end video productions, but I don't see it as a practical
choice for vlogging--it's not exactly the kind of "take it anywhere"
camera (or at least I wouldn't feel comfortable using it that way).
Same, really, with the XL-2.  I have an XL-1, and I usually default to
my little still camera that takes video rather than take that thing
out for quick-and-dirty, out-in-public vlogging purposes.  I also find
the viewfinder on the XL-1 very difficult to position on my eye
(perhaps because I'm left-eyed).

The PD-170 seems to me a good compromise between a vlogging camera and
video production camera (though the image isn't as nice as the other
two, and its options are more limited).  You've probably used these at
school (NB: Josh is a former student of mine ;), and they do well as
workhorse cameras that produce a decent image and give you sufficient
control over the image.

Really, it depends, I think, on how you want to use your camera as to
which one is the best choice.

Cheerio!
Jen

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "josheklow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm shopping around for a new camera for vlogging as well as other
video projects. I've been
> looking at the Canon XL2, the Panasonic DVX100B, and the Sony PD170.
I'm going to be