The annoying thing is that, especially for Windows, there have long
been a large number of consumer-priced video encoding hardware devices
available. But they are nearly always geared towards capturing the
video via a cable from some external analog source, rather than your
finished edited video thats sitting on the computer already. As soon
as you get to DV or various high end formats, the price rockets. And
high definition, h264 and other developments mean the bar is always
being raised.

And thats why I unfortunately dont expect this chip to signal a
change, its not a new class of device, just the latest spec. Chips
that did the same sort of thing existed in the past but for previous
generations of resolution & codec. Meanwhile CPU power of computers
has increased at least as fast as new codecs & resolutions have become
popular, and Id guess that by the time really fast internet makes
people able to routinely share stuff in high definition resolutions,
cpu speeds may have reached the level where encoding at those
resolutions is about as timeconsuming as encoding to 320x240 currently
is.

Its a shame someone doesnt try to use this chip or similar to offer
the sort of hardware-enhanced encoding speeds that you seek, you arent
alone. But I bet somewhere in pro land this sort of thing is in the
mega $ bracket, and the transition to the idea that it might be
something the masses want, and will pay extra dollar for in large
enough numbers to justify destroying the previous price point of that
industry. I mean technically this chip could do whats needed, although
Im unsure if there are architectural problems in terms of where youd
wire it up to, either hardware-wise or in the os's send video through
encoding pipeline. Microsoft are pushing their vc-1 format, thats now
a standard, pretty hard these days and like big corpo customers, I
wonder if the have any hardware encoding technologies available?

Im far more certain of that chip making its way into set-top-pvr's and
the like, because it largely takes the role of the CPU in them, the
encoding/decoding compontent in such devices has likely always been
one of the major costs, whereas its currently a non-existent cost in
computers. And $250 is probably more than or close to the profit
margin of most machines, its an extra cost that wont be stomached.

Im out of date with how much power CPUs consume these days, but its
quite likely it could be more efficient than a CPU, and so would be
potentially attractive for increasing battery life when watching
movies, which is one possible angle that these things could find
themselves into computers one day. And if the economy continues in the
same mode for more years, the cost of this particular encoder/decoder
will surely fall.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, andrew michael baron