From: "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:16:37
To:videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [videoblogging] Re: 3ivx v5 is out for mac & win & linux

Yes, these are all mpeg4 encoders, and mpeg4 should generally use less
 cpu & work on a wider range of devices than h264. But this becomes
 much less of an issue as the years go by, and 320x240 h264 should play
 on a wide range of computers. It was mostly at higher resolutions that
 h264 struggled to play smoothly on some machines, eg the apple HD
 samples.

 This, coupled with the fact thing like the ipod, apple tv, psp,
 xbox360, can handle h264, along with many people making flash versions
 of their stuff available for widest computer compatibility, means
 there are less reasons to stick with mpeg4 rather than h264, than
 there were when h264 was first added to quicktime a couple of years ago.

 But for those that do want to stick with mpeg4 for whatever reason,
 these alternatives are usually better than quicktimes own mpeg4
 encoding. If you pick the right settings when encoding, you can make
 standard mpeg4 files which will playback on a computer without that
 person having to install 3ivx etc. Alternatively you can go for higher
 quality, at the expense of some compatibility (eg some 3ivx settings
 will require the viewer to have 3ivx decoder installed to watch). Its
 all this 'profile' stuff which defines which features a decoder can
 handle, same as there are different h264 profiles, with baseline being
 the simplest, taking less cpu to decode, and working with the ipod
 etc. Most vloggers are interested in compatibility more than pure
 quality, wheras quite a bit of 3ivx, xvid & divx's market is people
 who are ripping DVDs etc to smaller files but that are high quality,
 where they may never be sharing the files, and so compatibility is
 less of an issue, so long as it works for them.

 Further complications surrounding these alternative mpeg4 encoders,
 are what file wrapper format is used (eg .mp4 or .avi), and what audio
 format is used. For example DivX uses its own file warpper which is a
 modified avi renamed to divx, and I think they use mp3 audio rather
 than AAC. This is fine for playback on DivX ertified hardware, or
 computers with DivX installed, or in the browser with the DivX browser
 plugin, but makes DivX a less than ideal choice for people looking to
 create ipod compatible files. But as I have mostly been focussing on
 h264 myself, I could be wrong with some of these details.

 Cheers

 Steve Elbows
 --- In videoblogging@ <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 > --- In videoblogging@ <mailto:videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
 > yahoogroups.com, "Brad Hood" <anunnaki@> wrote:
 > >
 > > It's comparable to MP4 flavors Xvid and Dvix, no?
 >
 > I don't entirely know, Brad. The name certainly makes you think of
 > DivX and Xvid, but whether there's any similarity in the technology,
 > I've no idea.
 >
 > Harold

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional