Greetings, thats a very cool aim you have, a great use for online video :)

I hadnt heard of whistlebox before, the technology sounds right but it
seems to me that they are looking for a different sort of customer,
more corporate advertising type stuff so Im guessing their pricetag
will be wrong.

I am assuming you mean non-live conversations, as there are a lot of
fairly eas to use live webcam chat systems out there.

>From a technical point of view, there should theoretically be
alternatives to whistlebox. They are making use of Flash, and Flash
Media server is the technology that enables the 'record straight from
your webcam to the site' stuff which seems appealing from an ease of
use perspective. Flash is used by tons of sites these days, yet not so
many are making use of the recording side of things, due to the extra
server requirements. This creates extra cost for the service provider,
But its certainly not rocket science, so whistlebox shouldnt be alone
in this space. If it is alone right now, it wont be for long. Youtube
certainly does this stuff for its 'respond via video' feature, but
isnt suitable for you as you probably want something that can truly
fit ino your site and be seperate from the main site. Especially as
the sensitive nature of the discussions means you are playing it safe
so far in terms of controlling your community, keeping it fairly
closed for now.

Anyway sorry for not acctually providing a solution, I have a feeling
I should know about some alternative services but my minds gone blank
here, well it is 2.37am here in the UK, I'll have another think
tomorrow if nobody else has come up with anything

Cheers and good luck with your interesting project, please do let this
group know how your mission goes in future.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "marileetaussig"

http://inspireaction.mindandmedia.com/index.php/2007/05/24/welcom-to-whi\