--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jay dedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  1) To connect with work/people/audiences in other indie moving image
> >  practices, curators can put together a program and try to get
existing
> >  microcinemas and media arts organizations to put it on their
schedule -
> >  there are thriving venues and organizations in most cities. This
way you not
> >  only don't deal with renting a hall/projector/etc., but you tap
into the
> >  REST of the moving image community.
>
> again, i fear huge slowdowns because of the bureaucracy of the media
> organizations.
> use any contacts, do some inquiries...but dont let these folks slow
you down.

That's valid in some ways, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume
microcinemas and other media arts orgs are bureaucratic machines
caught up in red tape.  Many microcinemas are absolutely working in
the same spirit that we're discussing here - very DIY and open-minded
AND enjoying large, built-in audiences - so I wouldn't dismiss the
value they can have in organizing such events and connecting vlog work
to other communities.

> >  2) Along the same lines, I would be more interested in seeing
videoblogging
> >  work in MIXED programs that also show other moving image work.
I've been
> >  talking along these lines to a couple of places about programs
for next
> >  season that try to grapple with the questions about aesthetics
and context
> >  that Jen talks about in her post. Again, it takes curators.
>
> i think thats why its great that everyone can try it their own way.
> So Brook, you know this world of "moving image work".
> you would be the best person in San Francisco to connect the vlogging
> world and the m ore established video arts world.
>
> brook...the time is now!
> youve been talking about it for too long!
> just tell me how i can help you.
>
> >  If this movement, for lack of a better term, is to have a real
lasting place
> >  and influence in the broader spectrum of moving image work (I
know the
> >  phrase is terribly academic but I can't think of a more inclusive
one, and
> >  anyway as conflicted as I am about it I live a good percentage of
the time
> >  in that world), it needs to be in dialog with other
> >  film/video/installation/web art/etc. work.
>
> see.....im not sure if thats true.
> i think the academic side better begin reaching out...or else new
> video makers will totally go around the current system of
> grant/installation/festival process.

I see your point, Jay, but I wouldn't equate the
grant/installation/festival process with the academic world - these
are often very separate communities.  I do agree that both of those
communities need to be more open to new work coming from new circles,
but vloggers need to do some of the outreach too.  And it CAN be
successful, in all of these communities, with good communication and
conversations with the right people.  It's just a question of getting
the ball rolling.

Jen