Great posts, Dave & Bill :)
We're all coming from the same place...
I guess we wouldn't all still be doing it, if we weren't.
These long, thoughtful & funny responses are good for the soul :o)

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv/
http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/

On 5 Jul 2007, at 22:15, David Meade wrote:

I've been vlogging for over two years now, and I don't have a big
following. There were some people at pixelodeon who were kind enough to
pretend they'd heard of me though, and that's good enough for me - Casey
McKinnon talked to me ... vlogging mission accomplished. :-)

For the record, feed burner tells me that my "for all time" average
is 62
subscribers ... 12 are from MeFeedia, and at least 3-5 total are
probably
me. :-) (one on my PC, one on my Mac, ... etc)

My 'Reach' according to Feedburner (subscribers that area actually
clicking
on the links and what not) is on average 18 or so which (given that
3-5 are
probably me) feels about right.

(For the past 4 months of data), Blip tells me I have 62 posts with
39,320
views ... but I'm not sure I believe it.

According to Blip, my most popular video is apparently "Hawaiian
Shave Ice"
(http://www.davidmeade.com/archives/58) with over 6,200 views ... but I
didn't think it was all that special ... I'm tempted to believe
something is
off with those stats. (but why look a gift-horse-ego-boost in the
mouth?)

I apparently - according to blip - have:
6 other posts with > 1,000 views (and I think I believe that - but not
sure)
5 others between 900 - 1000 views
12 between 600-900 views
15 between 400-600 views
8 between 200-400 views
14 with <200 views

... but again this is over a very long period of time and is no doubt at
least somewhat inflated by my being 'self subscribed'. (I also have a
nasty
habit of watching my own videos on my website rather than from the local
copy ... so some of those blip views are me too).

also ... my early work was all WMV, so I'm wondering if there isn't some
inflated numbers due to the initial wonkyness of microsoft bits clients
messin' up the stats everywhere.

I have 19 friends on MeFeedia, 11 of which have returned the favor.

I think I value comments the most. I don't get alot of comments on my
stuff
... but I'm pretty bad about commenting on other blogs, so I try to be
forgiving of that.

I try not to look at stats too often because
a) Half the time I don't believe them
b) I've always loved the 'that stuff doesn't matter' aspect of long-tail
publishing.
c) When I allow myself to care about stats I tend to think of them as
'ratings' and that's both depressing and discouraging. It tends to
inspire
my making FEWER videos for fear I wont or cant "do them well enough".
d) Casey McKinnon pretended to know me, so I've pretty much already
succeeded.

I am however gettin' ready to start a new vlog, and I expect to have
HUGE
numbers on that one. :-P

- Dave

--