For mounting camera's on dashboards, I guess I would suggest using a
little tiny tripod that is attached to a beadbag.  The nice thing
about a bean bag is that it conforms to what it sits on, and IF you
replace the beans (or whatever) with steel shot, then it will be heavy
enough to actually stay where you put it, without doing permanent
damage to the dash.  Also it allows you to move it to the seat, or
wherever. It also comes in very handy when you are doing an interview
at a table that you want to have the camera stable but not so hard to
setup.  I suggest a tripod simply because you want to the ability to
adjust the angle of shooting.

So a litte bitty tripod - very short - you mostly want the head,
mounted to a steelshot bag.

have fun!
Milt