Dave,

Thanks so much for your help.  The codec link you suggested worked...
but now I have the name of the codec written over every AVI.  Do you
know of another mjpeg codec that wouldn't do that?

Thank you again for a positively thorough response!  Much appreciated.

joanna

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Meade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The good news is, I don't think this is a problem with Premiere ....
 The
> bad news is, I think its a problem with your codecs.
>
> That canon camera (the same one I use) stores its AVIs in MJPEG
format.  It
> sounds like one of your installs/updates changed (or perhaps even
removed)
> the MJPEG video codec from your system.
>
> If you fix that, the rest will fall into place (I think).
>
> Do you have QuickTime Player installed?  Will the clips play in
QuickTime