Ed

Why all those "6's" ie... edd666 & 666, are you the Double Bad Diablo?
What was your childhood like and what influences guide you in your
adult life and the career path you have chosen?

Your photo, <http://tinyurl.com/27h9rg> reminds me of a dreamy eyed
Rupert Murdoch. When you rest your head to sleep at night, is this
image (what the heck is that, a flower pot? Hot Air balloon? Close up
of a Lava Lamp?) a inspiration or aspiration?

I think most every successful interview I have worked on has three things:

Knowledge of subject (both interviewer and interviewee) and the
inquisitive interviewer's instinctive ability to lead, follow and hand
hold which educates, informs or entertains the intended/general audience.

Dick Cavett, Steve Allen (old school), Brian Lamb, Ed Bradley,
Christian Amanpour, are a few that come to mind first.

Though more of the above, the setting/stage where the interview takes
place.

On location it is easy. Conduct the interview where that person will
be at home, comfortable, relaxed (unless this is ambush journalism in
which case all is (un)fair). On a stage/studio or the unfamiliar, the
less distractions in the eye line the better (especially a On Air or
Live monitor). The average joe is going to be nervous/self conscious.
Depending on ethical or legal constraints (and kids) the best is to
roll tape on the pre interview. When someone assumes that the camera
is not rolling they are often less inhibited. They are not thinking to
hard about the 8oo things that flash through their head when words
"Roll Tape" is called. Kids especially can be extremes when they know
they are on or off camera.

Art Linkletter, Mr Rodgers, Soupy Sales, Allen Funt.

A good equipment package. Everything is checked before you depart for
a location and/or the interviewee is brought to the set. Lighting
should be comfortable, KinoFlo's or LED kits. Small grip package
(stands, flags, bags, rags, gel). Good microphones and a digital or
tape backup. Redundancy is important spare spares (bulbs, cables,
anything that can HALT a production .... TAPE AND BATTERIES).

KinoFlo, DedoLights, Element Labs' L.E.D. Barbazon.

Conducting the interview itself ... straight line or zig zagging. It
depends on so much. Marilyn Manson vs The Pope. Scientist vs Injured
Vet. And of course everything is out the window with a real media
savvy subject. Ground rules are often set by their
agent/manager/handler/image consultant/owner. Questions, location,
time etc will be dictated (yuck, you become a puppet) or they may
require the submission of the questions you plan to ask prior to the day.

Additional thoughts for you to look into further:
Scout the location, know before you go.

A makeup person or familiarity with applying makeup.

Clothing (wardrobe person)and colors (Art Director). Material (silk,
wool, cotton, polyester) can be kind or a nightmare. To deep a subject
for this space. Colors of clothing and the location/set should
compliment not contrast to harshly. White walls, White suit, Lime
green Vase, plaid upholstery, and then sit a Asian, Mexican Caucasian
or African-American down and each scenario would have distinct
disadvantages in this example. In most cases it would not be pleasing
to the eye.

If at all possible use a GOOD wide angle lens or shoot in a room large
enough to work the zoom (for depth of field). Don't shot against a
window (fight exposure) or flat wall (boring).

Now I don't mind answering a question or sharing my opinion in this
forum. What I would not want to see is this forum mined for profit.

Diablo, as an author, Radio & TV show Host, Producer and motivational
speaker, how would you feel if someone used your experience/work for
their own profit? And I have a followup question.

Look forward to reading in this forum what you learn. And good luck
with your site and book(s).