DRM is understandably unpopular, but lets not get too carried away
with its implications.

DRM mechanisms are already present in many of the formats people use
today. It causes no problem at all for unprotected media. Its only a
restriction if the content creator/distributor chooses to use it, so
the issues it raises will not rear their ugly heads for any vlogger
who is against DRM.

DRM is probably incompatible with creative commons, but again this
only applies if you decide to protect your stuff with DRM, you can
still use formats that technically allow DRM, just dont use that feature.

Now if it was virtually impossible to download flash files, then CC
would be against the use of flash, as this is denying users rights to
download and redistribute content, which is a central right in
creative commons. What that BBC story was refering to the fact that
Adobe announced a desktop player app that would make downloading flash
video even easier, but to stop their customers who are not
progressive, and believe in tight control, from totally going nuts,
they've given them the option to use DRM to restrict things for the
users. Again this will only affect content where DRM is being used.
This stuff is all about business, and the old-fashioned ways of
monetizing creative works, by attempting to levy a charge on their
distribution. Vlogging is generally against that, and so DRM is
largely irrelevant, a future nightmare scenerio where all content is
locked down with DRM, seems highly unlikely as nobody cares about
protecting all content, just content that wants to be protected.

I know there was that case where Sony (I think) persued an over the
top DRM strategy that backfired when they used a system that sucked
and caused potential security breech to users who had the stuff
installed, and perhaps this has confused the issue somewhat. Anyway
Sony & others probably learnt a painful lesson from that, and these
days whilst DRM is far from dead, some have become more progressive
about these issues, whilst others are at least balancing their
appetite for control with the potential losses from using technology
that sucks so bad it costs them customers. Its all about money, after
all, and if protecting your content isnt part of the economy, nobody
cares about forcing DRM on your stuff, DRM will not make your future hell.

That is unless vloggers decide they actually want a bit more of DRM
and the old ways of control. If the arse falls off the immature video
advertising market, or people run out of other options, some people
who make shows with an aim to make some proper dosh, might start
looking at the old systems of controlled distribution and decide they
want a piece of that action. I dont see many signs of this, although
lots of people on this list have often been very hostile when others
are rehosting their content, it seems to have been deemed as at the
very least bad etiquette, and thus I occasionally waffle about how
this competely contradicts creative commons principals, oh well.

I suppose in the future, depending on how various 'new media networks'
evolve, some vlogers may do deals where one of these networks becomes
their publisher but they have a DRM policy or something else that
places limits on redistribution of your show by others.

I hate DRM and I hope the concept is gradually abandoned, but its just
not any sort of threat or worry for vloggers, indeed it continues to
give a real advantage to independent content, unburdened by it
compared to shows that are on a DRM-loving network. There are
musicians out there who would like to do stuff with their back-catalog
but their publisher has a lot of say in that stuff and so they get
thwarted if their publisher isnt progressive. Its darn frustrating for
them, and the lesson is to read smallprint and consider wider
implications before doing deals.

Cheers

Steve Elbows
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> not sure if this means what i think it means but:
>
> "...the big seller for Adobe is the ability to include in Flash movies
> so-called digital rights management (DRM) - allowing copyright
holders to
> require the viewing of adverts, or restrict copying."
>
> from
>
> not that flash is fun to convert for copying/remixing,
> but it is doable....
> maybe in the future it won't be a possiblity
> for flash or quicktime either...
>

> On 8/30/07, Steve Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   Well yes its a good thing to support formats that are apparently
> > unimpinged by patents, and where encoding and decoding stuff for the
> > formats is available as open source.
> >
> > I dont think the example of DRM is a very likely future nightmare
> > reason why people would abandon flash or quicktime, as support for
> > DRM-content can coexist quite peacfully with all the non-DRM uses of
> > stuff, but yes, there are reasons why people would want to back an
> > open format that is free in multiple senses of the word.
> >
> > An example of people wanting to switch away from h264 in future would
> > be if they put some silly licenses costs on content creators who use
> > h264, when these terms are updated in 2010 or something.
> >
> > Or yeah if Adobe went insane and did something to flash player that
> > made people not want it installed on their machines.
> >
> > If these sorts of things dont happen, then there arent too many
> > reasons to assume ogg will go massive, but its nice to have it around
> > and support for it in many tools, it is based on good principals and
> > could be important in the future, depends how many corporations
> > behave, and we know from human experience that we cant bank on them
> > always being good corporate citizens.
> >
> > Am I right to assume the Ogg Theora video playback is provided by this
> > java app?
> >
> > http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/
> >
> > Ive joined the showinabox google group but havent had a moment to post
> > there yet, will take most of m future input on this stuff otver there
> > from now on.
> >
> > I just encoded my first ogg file, using this quicktime plugin stuff:
> >
> > http://xiph.org/quicktime/download.html
> >
> > It seemed to go ok, but it is late now and Im tired, so I will have to
> > stop for tonight.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Steve Elbows
> >

> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,

(http://groups.google.com/group/show-in-a-box),
> > > we've been talking about Ogg which is an open source
codec....similar