Cross posted: http://www.dembot.com/014169.html

Josh, founder and creator of FireAnt is one person who has always
been on the about page of Rocketboom. We met at school and connected
over building the first blog at Parsons School of Design and always
discussed online patterns and activity throughout the 2004 elections.

In particular we talked alot about the development of Rocketboom and
Ant.

During that time, Josh found out about Adam Curry who was working on
the same kinds of problems with audio. I remember when Josh first
told me about this, we snickered in kinda of a nostalgic way, the
same way you would if you just found out that Martha Quinn was
building robots and programing micro-controllers.

When Josh, Kenyatta and I were building out the backend and strategy
for Rocketboom, especially from August through October, 2004, Josh
had come up with an elegant proof of concept for an aggregator that
focused on pulling video files with an Apple Script. Nothing that
Curry and Winer had missed but nonetheless, they along with almost
everyone else were tunnel visioned on audio (and pdf files!?).

Perhaps one reason for the disconnect occurred because of the
difference in application. Podcasters were ultimately enamored with
transferring mp3 files to the shiny shiny (i.e. the ipod) automatically.

With Rocketboom however, there was no shiny shiny (i.e. the video
ipod) at the time but we saw the aggregator as the killer app for
bandwidth limits and thick compression settings on the delivery of
large video files. Pretty files sent to computers over night while
people sleep to be available in full local playback glory,
scrollable, jumpable, and without delay when ready for viewing was
where it would be at.

In October 2004 knowing that video enclosures would catch on very
soon, when Rocketboom did launch, I made sure we had them working for
the few people who used Josh's player. I also of course noticed that
there was no way to offer multiple file types in the enclosure fields
and decided the only solution would be to offer multiple feeds (we
launched with several).

Right around that time, Podcasting was starting to gain momentum and
I always noticed how almost no one else was talking about using RSS
for video. It was kinda like the Twilight Zone actually in that
regard. Even through most of 2005, while podcasting was totally
exploding, very few people took interest in the use of RSS with video
enclosures. Perhaps it was because the news angle was mostly
generated from a radio show fanatic slash tech geek-angle and the
disruption they were casing to the <i>radio</i> industry.

There were two main public brain trusts through 2005 that existed
separately on the web where on-the-pulse information about
development in the nascent industry made its way in: [<a href="http://
tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/podcasters/">1</a>] the podcasting group
on Yahoo vs. [<a href="http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/
videoblogging/">2</a>] the Videoblogging group on Yahoo.

As for #1, my bafflement with podcasters and music fans who still
deal with mp3 crap compression remains. A great beauty of the audio
aggregator is that you can deliver very high quality audio files (not
a problem to offer the mp3 versions too for the losers), but
whatever, people used to take playback quality much more seriously in
the good 'ol days of wax and lasers.

As for #2, the excitement fueled by foresight into the implications
behind a world shift in media, would soon drove user testing,
adoption and good will to Ant (later served with a no-no letter on
the name, btw), so FireAnt, with "the" surrounding directory of
videobloggers was where the <a href="http://www.dembot.com/
006316.html">first party</a> started.

Perhaps we will never know but I feel very strongly that Josh's
development of the initial player gave Apple their best look at what
I always hoped they would acquire, but instead, built themselves. In
a single moment in October of 2005 with the release of the video iPod
and video podcasting in iTunes, Apple opened up the concept of video
online to the masses (er, you know what I mean) and essentially took
a great deal of FireAnt's steam. Coincidentally, the prior release of
Apple's audio podcasting client in iTunes stole the same kind of
steam from Odeo so it makes since that these two companies would come
together for a return match.

Apple's strategy for growth was and continues to remain stealth and
secretive, closed and proprietary. They probably get away with it
because their products are so good. But Apple's aggregating features
have never been as good as FireAnt's which strated off as open sourse
and remained open on the frontend.

I consider Josh to be a major pioneer in the space for being one of
the first, if not the first to create a video specific aggregator,
going on to win the support of the videoblogging community, growing a
business from an early 2.0-like application, sustaining the onslaught
of a changing industry, managing a difficult set of personalities,
dealing with alot of legal nonsense and then orchestrating a very
delicate acquisition. Way to go Josh, can't wait to see what's next!