I've used uStream and it worked well.  I have also done Quicktime Server
w/Quicktime Broadcaster, which was a breeze as well.  I tried uStream for
streaming video into SecondLife (for the main BlogHer sessions this year)
and the company we were using for our build in SL could only accept
Quicktime files (not sure if that's a SL thing or just per this company),
but QT Server/Broadcaster was perfect.

uStream has not let me down either, so I could easily recommend either of
these.

Robyn Tippins
Community Manager, MyBlogLog
sleepyblogger.com | gamingandtech.com

On 10/13/07, Kath O'Donnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   hi Tom, I guess you've already looked at the VLC streaming pages since
> you're planning on using VLC to view the streams? the diagrams and
> instructions there seem to outline it.
>
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html
> http://www.videolan.org/doc/
>
> I've done streaming of a STB composite output using VLC on my laptop
> instead
> of requiring a tv (at work). other people could view the stream also by
> connecting to my ip stream. (this was on a private network/vpn, but would
> be
> similar if I had a public ip on the net for external people to access).
>
> another option u may want to consider is a streaming box such as slingbox.
> so similarly, you could connect your camera output to the input of the
> slingbox and let it handle the streaming (since that's what it's built
> for).
> if u use multiple cameras, then u might need a video mixer or video
> switcher
> prior to the input of slingbox, or maybe u don't mind the glitch/outage
> whilst swapping cables manually. then people download the slingbox viewer
> for free and connect to your feed. the slingbox costs around $150. though
> don't think it's available in Aus, so you'd need to buy it off the net eg
> HongKong or UK site, and I think the licence is for non-commercial use
> (sounds like your project is?). slingplayer is available for multiple
> platforms including mobile devices such as phones, PDAs. slingbox is very
> simple to setup and use. the website has the instructions. plus this means
> don't need to dedicate a computer to be the streaming server, you use the
> slingbox instead so I think in the long run it's a cheaper option. & if u
> connect it to the tv, u can use the remote to change channels etc as well,
> or write an interface for the infared remote to perform other control
> functions u might require. I'm not sure if you can view the stream in vlc
> though - I think it's just the slingbox player. but if you're getting
> people
> to download vlc, then getting them to d/l slingbox player is similar?
>
> I used to do internet radio using ogg vorbis (& others prior to that)
> streaming via winamp (similar to live365 site - sometimes we'd use it as a
> relay site) but haven't done ogg theora / vorbis for video streaming.
>
> cheers
> Kath
>
> ps- you're from Warwick? I used to live in bris. what's the project you're
> working on?
>
> ---
>
> http://www.aliak.com
>
> On 10/13/07, tom_a_sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<tom_a_sparks%40yahoo.com.au>>
> wrote:
> >
> > first of all I dont want to use any internet based website
> > as the project (cross your fingers) is going to use on a Wireless
> > community network
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_community_network (if that ever
> [...]

Robyn Tippins

Community Manager, MyBlogLog - Yahoo!