Hey all,

I remember well when I first got into videoblogging, and I joined this
mailing-list, and I got to know so many people who were doing interesting
things with videoblogging. This was in late 2004, and the movement was still
relatively small then.

Today, if we can even talk about a "movement" anymore, it has grown much
bigger. There are thousands of people on this mailing-list, and sites like
youtube, blip.tv and others have given the regular people opportunities for
mediation that we could only dream about years ago.

Almost from the very beginning, one of my main interests related to
videoblogging has been "political videoblogging". As in: How does
videoblogging change politics? Does it change it? If so, how? Who is the
agent behind this change? How could political _organizations_ use
videoblogging as a sort of knowledge management? A way to remember political
processes and make politics seem less of something just for people in some
ivory tower. A way to connect with the people in ways that you simply cannot
do through the main-stream media.

In mid 2005, while I was doing some videoblogging experiments within my
political party in Norway, I was quoted as saying this in a bbc online
article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4229698.stm):

"Today in Norway, many youth are feeling disillusioned with politics," says
Kristiansen. "They feel that politics is all the same. And if I can
interview people, put them online, it lowers the barrier."

I have since in different ways probed this question. How can politicians, or
NGOs, or others, communicate with - for instance - the youths in a way that
becomes authentic? Is more authentic than the broadcast model of putting on
that suit, the mask, and talking for 30 seconds in an elevator-pitch about X
important topic.

On my personal vlog/blog, www.dltq.org, I put out a lot of videos, most of
them long and boring, some of them short, some of them innovative in some
way, but too many of them just being fluff. Now, fluff is good and all, but
sometimes we want to go deeper.

So, last week I decided to end DLTQ, to end this site and to move on. My
messages to this mailing list the last months has mostly been about
political videoblogging. What is happening around the world today? What are
the best case studies? What can we learn from whatever people are doing in
the UK, Italy, USA or India? I received some tips, and I have also been
exploring the current status quo of political videoblogging (including the
various projects involving youtube), but overall I feel that I lack "the
overview".

There are a few great sites out there, like for instance
www.personaldemocracy.com - but I often feel that such sites lack a true
international scope.

So I am currently in the process of preparing for my next site, which will
not be personal as such, but a team effort. The domain is not ready yet, but
I will give it to you once it is. So far we are two people living in Denmark
who have committed ourselves to it, but I am looking for other partners,
preferably in other countries and continents.

So: Are you interested in the meeting-point of politics and new media? Are
you interested in how mediated politics can change how civil society works
and develops? Do you want to be part of a small group of bloggers that will
deal with these and similar questions? Personally, I think it would be great
if we could be 5-6 people from different regions. 5-6 people that could
together edit a site that could add to the plethora of sites dealing with
these issues.

Part of the goal of the site would be to point at best practice from around
the world. It would also be to publish our own video once a week with
updates from whatever is happening, as well as interviewing some "regular
people" about issues that matter to them. Something like "Ten Questions":
http://www.10questions.com/ but with an international profile, and being a
site that also goes "meta" a lot.

Even though videoblogging is going "main-stream", we must remember that this
is still about "the people". The individuals who for all kinds of reasons
make movies and put them on the internet.

Have a great day/evening!,

Best regards,

Raymond M. Kristiansen
2004-07: www.dltq.org