>  I have only used firewire with a mini-dv camera in the past, so I'm
>  wondering, with the xacti how do you get the video into the computer?
>  Do you need some sort of device on the computer to read the sd card?
>  Does the camera have usb or firewire ports that can be used to capture
>  the video onto the computer?
>  These are issues, since the computers already have usb and firewire
>  ports in the lab, but no special devices for reading the sd cards
>  presently.

others have answered your questions in detail.
(you can plug in the Xacti through USB...or use an inexpensive card reader)

Ultimately use what you're comfortable with.
i like the SD cameras since they fit in my pocket.
But if you want a bigger camera experience with tape backup and the
extra extensions...then definitely go with the mini-DV.

in 5 years, they'll be giving away these cameras with keychains when
you get a new bank account.

Jay

--
http://jaydedman.com