Cote289 wrote:
> Shooting a good clean progressive image generally looks better than
> shooting interlaced and deinterlacing.

Most definitely, in most circumstances, a progressive camera is going
to provide more pleasing web video (and broadcast video for that
matter). You can argue there's better motion capture of 60i over 30p
or 24p, but bring 60p into the picture and the whole argument becomes
moot.

As an aside, for those of you who use the DVX100, it produces a very
good progressive video image in 24p or 30p, just make sure you set
the "Vertical Detail Frequency" to the "Thin" setting, otherwise the
camera is doing vertical blur to avoid flicker on an interlaced
monitor, which is not an issue for web video. Why reduce the
resolution when the destination is the web.

I could go on and on in terms of interlace vs. progressive, but I'll
point out one flaw of interlaced video (which made sense in ancient
times in order to squeeze television into a narrow channel of radio
frequency spectrum) and that is "comb artifacts," you see in pans,
slow motion, and still frames due to the relative movement between
the two fields (odd and even lines temporally displaced by 1/60th
second) that make up each single frame.

I'm no fan of interlace, go progressive!

David.

David Tames | http://Kino-Eye.com | 617 216 1096