I've used DV tapes, SD Memory Card with Xacti and have a JVC HD Camcorder.

Tape Advantages:

In terms of quality the DV tapes have HD footage beat in terms of
quality and a wee bit more flexibility with low light levels.

Tape Disadvantage:

The time it takes to convert it to digital and then you can start
working with the footage. Also the amount of tapes and the available
hard drive space is going to mount up. You could save the raw footage
to DVD.

HD Camcorder Advantages

I'm using a basic level JVC HD Camcorder so the newer models might be
different.

Cost savings on tape purchase is a big one.  I can record 7 hours on a
30GB hard drive at high quality.  In decent light the video quality is
just slightly below DV tape. Fairly easy to transfer to computer for
editing - with a huge exception.

HD Disadvantage:

In low light it sucks. Also it is a pain to figure out ways to convert
(in JVC) case. For the model I have I either have to rename the file
extension "MOD to MPG" then use MPEG Streamclip to de-interlace the
video. Or I save it as a DVD and de-interlace and copy to the file
format I need.

Depending of the skill level of the users it can get complicated.

You will use a lot of storage space or you have the option of saving
on DVD or your computer.

I really want a good hard drive camcorder with is flexible with light
quality. I'm not sure that I've seen that happen yet. I'm not going
back to tape but I might have to wait until the technology catches up
to my needs.

My two cents,

Gena
http://outonthestoop.blogpsot.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Deirdre Straughan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here's the sitch:
>
> I am trying to get every office I deal with at Sun (6 - 10 sites
worldwide)
> to have a videocamera they can use to capture presentations etc.
which can
> then be edited and re-used for sharing knowledge, training, etc.
Usually the
> raw footage will be sent to me for editing, posting, and making into
DVDs.