On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 9:02 am, Gena wrote:
> I would like a few affordable = under $250 steadycam or monopod
> suggestions. I've looked at the DIY steadycam but I'm not that
> mechanically inclined.

For video, I like shoulder mounts. They can be found for under $200 and
are pretty small. The human body is a good stabilizer ... this is why
"pro" cameras are big enough to shoulder mount. Mass makes inertia :)

Monopods are a good alternative. They add weight for stabilization, can
be used in a tripod-ish manner for still shots and give you the reach to
pull off shots you would normally need a crane for. Companies make
"pockets" to turn spare real estate on your belt into a spot to
stabilize your monopod (I have that on my purchase list for 2008).

For audio, that shoulder mount is kinda silly. I have a $0.99 tripod
from the bargain bin at MicroCenter for my Zoom H2, but I'd never dare
put a camera on it. Try the SLR version of the GorillaPod (tripod with
flexible legs). DO NOT buy the cheaper/smaller version, they will break
... mine is now in a dumpster somewhere in Germany.

The DIY stabilizers work, but are awkard to use ... and not very
professional looking. I interview sci-fi stars every year for a DVD
project, and I don't think they'd treat me as well if I rolled in with
my camera on a length of plumbing pipe.
--
Brian Richardson
  - http://whatthecast.com