----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Prodoehl"

>> Another option is to use a totally seperate digital recorder to record
>> the
>> sound .. and then use that file to replace the built in mics sound in the
>> editing program.  Sounds a lot harder than it actually is.
>
> What makes it harder?
>
> Wouldn't it just be a matter of syncing up the two audio tracks and then
> disabling the bad one?
>
> Obviously you want a sync count when you start, but what other issues
> are there?

Well, it's harder than just using the camcorder mic track .. but what I
meant to say is that many folks, who haven't tried it, might say .. "Jee,
that sounds really hard to do."    I've done it, and the increase in quality
is so dramatic that I record that way whenever I can.

My recordings usually last quite long (30 to 55 minutes) and even with a
nice digital recorder there is often a noticeable loss in sync after 30 or
40 minutes.  Easily fixed, but you need to check for it  .. unless you are
shooting short clips of course.

RE: "sync count" .. but this I think you mean some obvious way to sync the
new audio track to the video .. like a movie clapper .. or a hand clap . or
something.  I've found it's not hard at all to sync to the lips of the
speakers .. just expand your timeline enough.  Also, if you have expanded
your timeline sufficiently, you can sync the *waveforms* of the new audio
with the camcorder audio.

Richard Amirault
Boston, MA, USA
http://n1jdu.org