Jay dedman wrote:

> This is in context to recent conversations we've had about using free video
> sites.
> At some point, these sites must understandably make a return on their
> investment... since they are paying big money for all this free hosting.
> Many of us are starting to talk about HD content and bigger videos..which
> wont make the issue any easier.
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/exit-stage6-a-step-in-the-right-direction-080308/
> <http://torrentfreak.com/exit-stage6-a-step-in-the-right-direction-080308/>
>
> So DivX Corporation's Stage6 has croaked. The service's 'goodbye, cruel
>  > word' note says it was a victim of its own success, but that it
> proved 'it's
>  > possible to distribute true high definition video on the Internet'.
> What it
>  > really showed is how deliriously inefficient streaming video is, whether
>  > it's high def or otherwise.
>  >
>  > It cost at least $1m a month to run Stage6 with its 17.4 million unique
>  > users a month, whereas (at an informed guess) The Pirate Bay costs about
>  > $50,000 a month all-in for its 92.5 million. That's $57,000 per million
>  > users for Stage6; $540 per million for The Pirate Bay (not including
> people
>  > using its tracker without visiting the site, which adds a lot of
> Mininova's
>  > traffic as well, not to mention the other big indexes.) So at the very
>  > least, The Pirate Bay is a hundred and five times more efficient than
> Stage6
>  > was.
>  >

> Jay

The problem is DiVx isn't exactly a well known name whereas Google is.
As such, ANY property owned by Google is going to be able to survive
while supporting freeloaders because it's a bigger name.  I suppose
that's probably why a lot of us (Including Ryanne) use Blogger.  We just
KNOW it's going to be around for the long haul.

I think the future of P2P is really going to be in LIVE streaming video.
  Of course, there are places like BlogTV and UStream TV, but let's be
honest, unless they either become big names themselves or are swallowed
by one, they will go the same way Stage 6 did.  That's why I recommend
having software from TVUNetworks handy just in case (You can get it from
http://www.tvunetworks.com/).

Just my opinion though...

Cheers :D

--
Pat Cook
Denver, Colorado
PODCASTS -
AS MY WORLD TURNS - Blogger Page - http://asmyworldturnstv.blogspot.com/
BlogTV Page - http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/20453
AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com
PAT'S REAL DEAL VIDEO BLOG - http://patsrealdeal.livejournal.com/
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - http://www.youtube.com/amwowttv/
THE PAT COOK SHOW  - http://www.livevideo.com/thepcshow
THE PAT COOK SHOW (Video Podcast) - Blogger Page -
http://thepctvshow.blogspot.com/ - BlogTV Page -
http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/19924
**RESTARTING SOON** - PAT'S CLASSIC TV COMMERCIALS VIDEO PODCAST -
http://patsclassictvcommercials-ipod.blogspot.com/ (iPod),
http://patsclassictvcommercials-flash.blogspot.com/ (Flash)