I remember back in the mid-90s, people were asking "should i build my
website on Geocities or Tripod?". This feels like another one of those
discussions.

Not sure why these sites aren't trying harder to solve a core issue:
how to find video that interests me - particularly Google, since this
is core to their business.

Fine with me though, as we keep humming along with our media search
engine and user-curated "channels". Nowadays, I find new video feeds
that I like through my friends' subscriptions on Mefeedia. :) When I
want to interact, I usually go directly to the producer's vlog.

Regards,
Frank

http://www.mefeedia.com - Feed Me Media