http://www.maximumsorrow.com/writing/whyineverprintmyphotos.html

I have encountered the police dozens of times while taking photos in
> America. Once, while photographing houses at night, a squad car with blazing
> searchlights swarmed me for questioning as a pair of officers physically
> restrained a bath-robed homeowner who was screaming at me from a nearby
> yard, "there he is, that's him! He was taking photos of my boat!" I have
> been tailed by white security vans around the perimeters of office parks,
> had my ID examined at length on manicured lawns, been shouted at from moving
> vehicles, had my license plate number written down by dads and various men
> wearing sunglasses, and waited patiently in parking lots for my background
> to be checked via police radio.

The police here in NYC are under considerable pressure from higher-ups to
play the part of Big Brother.  And since it's the biggest tourist city in
America, it makes it even more difficult for them to figure out who is an
enemy combatant and who is taking pictures to show Grandma.

I'd be interested to hear some other folks ideas of privacy vs. artists'
rights.  Once you had kids, did it change?