HVR-V1 does look good. Check the Canon HV20 HDV, good review here:
http://www.videomaker.com/article/13252/

I'm still into the Canon AVCHD hf100 I got for $650,
VideoMaker review here; http://www.videomaker.com/article/13694/
definatley great for vlogging, etc. With this mic, and a wireless
setup for a laviler, Pelican case, extra batteries, monopod, and a
couple of 16GB cards, you're talking close to $1500
See my review here: http://www.techtrek.tv

I only hear great things from the PD170 I know it's not HD, but the
Panasonic 100b is just amazing:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-AG-DVX100B-Proline-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000BYJFYW/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214597539&sr=8-1

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Ruud Elmendorp: Video