Rupert, by writing to you, I realized there was some juice left in
this thread.  My opinion of Ze Frank.  I love that you call me the
evil Ze Frank.   When I was making my videos sometimes I'd take a
break in the afternoon and watch the Show and I'd just say, "fuck it"
and scrap my video.  He was so quick and he came up with so much in
such short periods of time.  When I first started watching his show I
read about his background in neuroscience and I thought he was using
tricks.  I was relieved when I saw an episode containing a few extra
words that could have been edited out to pack more of a punch.  So he
wasn't completely a master of brainwashing.

Sometimes though, his squeaky clean image, the rubber duckies, the
sports racers, left me wanting something more evil.  And he wasn't a
great story teller.  I think my favorite video was the one where he
talked about 9/11, when he broke down crying and a nurse hugged him.
 That was a good story.  Good stories poke around in the dark places
where the author might not want to go.  And Ze built this story up by
reading comments and making it appear as if he was being pushed into it.

http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/09/090706.html

According to this NewTeeVee article, Ze "candidly admits" he knows
little about story telling.

http://newteevee.com/2007/03/12/ze-frank-blip/

What he did very well was comment on things.  And so I think he kind
of embodies the best of what I'm starting to call the "school of
content creation".  Fast.  And immediate.  The downside is that his
show has no longevity.  He ridiculed the Bush administration.  I think
he was very smart to only do it for a year.  Because how could he keep
going when what he was making was sort of shallow on a narrative level
and would just shrivel up at the pace of current events?

Information Dystopia is an attempt to break away from the school of
content creation.  It's over ten times longer than your typical piece
of content.  It's not easily accessible, you have to use bittorrent.
It also has pacing.  I did try to boil it down to essentials, but
speed wasn't my ultimate goal.  I framed it as an epic struggle.  It
goes from my small petty rivalry with Nichols and blows it up into a
battle for the future of the Internet.  I used songs to slow things
down and build suspense.  Also, it's a one shot.  Not part of a
series.  I am starting to feel like I'm getting material for a sequel.
 But anyway, it breaks with the content creation rule of publishing
regularly.  I finished recording about 97% of it in July.  The
graphics took about a month.

So now maybe there's someone out there more arty-farty than myself who
can give an unbiased review of Information Dystopia.
  Here's the torrent:

http://www.detrimentalinformation.com/information_dystopia.mp4.torrent

Over on Kent's blog post "Is online video dead", Rick Rey commented
that there's no place for critics in new media.  I think we need to be
more critical of each other's work.  I used to belong to a fiction
writing list where you'd post your writing and members would break it
down line by line.

Now I know it's hard to do with online video because we all have such
different goals and purposes.  But that's all the more reason to do
it. We could learn ways of approaching online video that we never
could have imagined.

I still feel like a redneck when I talk about video art and film making.

Maybe we need two video blogging lists, one for tech support and one
for content support.

As Loren Feldman would say,

"SUPPORT!"