An FYI on the Lacie failures - about 6 years ago they had a problem where
they had maxtor drives in them - and that was the problem.  More recently
the last 2-3 years - I've seen at least 10 fail here at CNN - but none of
them lost data - as I quickly figured out that the power supply was no
longer putting out the 5V it needed to spin up.  A call to CDW and I was
able to order new power supplies.  This appears to be a pretty well know
issue with the PS's that ship with the Lacie's especially the big drives.
The new supplies are slightly larger and I haven't seen one of those fail.

Hope this helps on the Lacie front.  I love my WD MyBook - no issues so far
- and I esp like that they wind down when not in use so you're not taxing
the platters out by having them spinning all the time.

Cheers,
Scott Stead
www.scottstead.com
www.documentaryclub.org


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to