You won't find a hard-disk or card based AVCHD or HDV format camcorder that
is better in low light than the HV20. Yet. Unless you want to spend several
thousand on an HVX or the Sony EX.
Also AVCHD, even the new higher-bitrate implementation, still lags WAY
behind HDV in image quality (and HDV kinda sucks to begin with). I think
within a couple of years it will be better than HDV but the real-time
capture implementation has a long way to go.

People's experiences editing with AVCHD vary widely, but if you have a way
to convert it to an intraframe codec your life will be easier.

I am dying to switch to a tapeless camera, but there isn't one yet that
tempts me. I use an HV20 as my everyday (and use lots of other cams of all
types in connection with work), and despite the inconvenience of tape (and
since I shoot 24p the inconvenience of removing pulldown on everything
before editing) it's still worth the bother for its image quality and low
light capability.

You could also look into a portable hard drive based capture system for your
HV20 instead of spending probably close to the same amount for an inferior
camera - you'd get the HV20's quality and get to go tapeless.  Can't vouch
for this model, but I know that people use it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553295-REG/Focus_Enhancements_ASYF_1314_01LF_FS_4_HD_Portable_DTE.html#specifications

Brook