From: "Heath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:42:41 PM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: [videoblogging] The Death of the internet as we know it....

I just did another post about this from another communications
company but now another big dog in the US is going to start limiting
bandwidth....AT & T...I am telling you all, this is going to stiffle
most video on the web, at some of these limits watching one movie
over Netflix will put you over for the month. Things like VloMo,
will go away....it's scary.....its real scary....

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081104/ap_on_hi_te/tec_at_t_internet_c
aps

Heath "The Artist"
http://batmangeek.com

NEW YORK - AT&T Inc., the country's largest Internet service
provider, is testing the idea of limiting the amount of data that
subscribers can use each month.

AT&T will initially apply the limits in Reno, Nev., and see about
extending the practice elsewhere.

Increasingly, Internet providers across the country are placing such
limits on the amount of data users can upload and download each
month, as a way to curb a small number of "bandwidth hogs" who use a
lot of the network capacity. For instance, 5 percent of AT&T's
subscribers take up 50 percent of the capacity, spokesman Michael Coe
said Tuesday.

But the restrictions that Internet providers are setting are
tentative. And the companies differ on what limits to set and whether
to charge users for going beyond the caps.

Starting in November, AT&T will limit downloads to 20 gigabytes per
month for users of their slowest DSL service, at 768 kilobits per
second. The limit increases with the speed of the plan, up to 150
gigabytes per month at the 10 megabits-per-second level.

To exceed the limits, subscribers would need to download constantly
at maximum speeds for more than 42 hours, depending on the tier. In
practice, use of e-mail and the Web wouldn't take a subscriber
anywhere near the limit, but streaming video services like the one
Netflix Inc. offers could. For example, subscribers who get downloads
of 3 megabits per second have a monthly cap of 60 gigabytes, which
allows for the download of about 30 DVD-quality movies.

The limits will initially apply to new customers in the Reno area,
AT&T said. Current users will be enrolled if they exceed 150
gigabytes in a month, regardless of their connection speed.

"This is a preliminary step to find the right model to address this
trend," Coe said. The company may add another market to the test
before the end of the year, he said.

Customers will be able to track their usage on an AT&T Web site. The
company will also contact people who reach 80 percent of their limit.
After a grace period to get subscribers acquainted with the system,
those who exceed their allotment will pay $1 per gigabyte, Coe said.

Comcast Corp., the nation's second-largest Internet service provider
and AT&T's competitor in Reno, last month officially began a
nationwide traffic limit of 250 gigabytes per subscriber. Comcast
doesn't charge people extra for going over the limit, but will cancel
service after repeated warnings. Previously, it had a secret limit.

Two other ISPs, Time Warner Cable Inc. and FairPoint Communications
Inc., are planning or testing traffic limits as low as 5 gigabytes
per month, which is easily exceeded by watchers of DVD-quality online
video.

Among the largest ISPs, Verizon Communications Inc. is a holdout, and
has said it does not plan to limit downloads.