Despite being a negative person and setting my expectations rather
low, things havent met my expectations.

I never believed the hype and silly advertising projections, even
without the economic storm I dont think all would be well in the world
of web 2.0 also known as 'where's the revenue?'

Although I was very harsh on would be 'new media networks' and their
associated moguls, I did think they might succeed more than they seem to.

I have seen a lot of video's that I thought were great, but not that
many series, and the overused magazine format with wacky graphics and
very fast cuts has driven me away. But I am aware that I am not
usually the target demographic, so who cares about my opinion on that.

I am not surprised by big media's lack of interest, because we have
not seen success in terms of huge regular audience numbers for indie
shows. On that front there are very few web shows that would be of
interest to tv networks so far.

I did think that niche stuff would gain a lot more traction, but this
doesnt seem to have progressed too much either. Video has been
incorporated into a lot of sites that are the new version of the
'niche but still mass audience' magazine, eg gaming sites and the
financial times.

And in terms of publicity and promotion, old media still dominates
overall and is now kicking butt on the web, with things like hulu, bbc
iplayer, and how many of the top podcasts on itunes are from old media.

Whilst some shows have harnessed social networking to great affect,
traditional media and viral videos seem to dominate such platforms
still, and its really unclear how much longevity specific social
network sites have, so much fad.

I do not know whether its due to a lack of talent, me being a freak,
or simply being overloaded and amused to death, but there isnt a show
I watch regularly on the net nor look forward to with any real
passion. Not that many tv shows or movies fall into that category for
me either. But anyway this means that for the most part, internet
video for me means typing in words to youtube to find specific
content, much of it originally made by traditonal media.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "@..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No doubt that there is truth in the expressed misconceptions of what
> Independent Net Media encompasses.
> I dont even know the best terminology these days and language always
helps
> define ( whats a vlog? ;)
>
> User Generated Content is NOT EpicFu.  So yeah that must be annoying to
> hear.  But I wonder if it is a deliberate misinterpretation in order
to make
> a weak point about where their focus is today.  I mean, how can they not
> know that some UGC uploaded to YouTube (ie. webcam talking head or
silly cat
> videos) with zero production is not in the same category as the episodic
> productions (aka webisodes) that have
> fans/audience/community/brand/merch/influence/value/market share etc?
> They know.  They just don't want to add any more value to their own
> competition... especially if they know that they may end up buying that
> competition up.... Why drive up the price?
>
> I understand the dire straits involved in being a full-time Internet
> Entertainment Production Studio or whatever term fits... Starving
Artist?  I
> know these past 3 or 4 years have been difficult experimental times
for both
> content creators and startups.  With risk and failure comes valuable
> knowledge.  And that's not to say that there have not been many forms of
> success.  Amazing success stories.  But it is still early and the
landscape
> has become more unpredictable in the short-term.  There is also bad
> short-sighted or overhyped data being thrown around which doesnt help.
>
> I think a crossroads has to be reached if you are in this business.
 Do you