I'm too tired to remember the name, but I saw a British TV  
documentary last year that took old archive photos and subtly  
animated elements in the background or foreground.  So parts of a  
photo behind or in front of people which were sky or grass or sea  
would be replaced by video of the same.  Was done very well - not  
drawing too much attention to itself - so there'd be a slight shimmer  
on the sea, or a slight blowing in the grass.  Then sometimes a  
slight Ken Burns effect was added, but with a 3D effect created by  
splitting the foreground, middleground and background elements into  
separate layers and animating them appropriately.  Creating a slight  
feeling of tracking towards the subject rather than just zooming.  I  
expect a slight grain/flicker was added to the image to make it seem  
like a video GV rather than a still, too.  People who weren't film- 
savvy might not even have noticed.  It definitely brought a little  
life to old pictures and blurred the boundary between them and the  
film/video clips they were intercut with.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 7-Dec-08, at 9:17 PM, Brook Hinton wrote:

There's a clever section in "Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea"  
that
uses a physical set, tricky camerawork and speed control to deal with
archival photos in an historical background segment. I don't think it's
online though.
Brook

_______________________________________________________
Brook Hinton
film/video/audio art
www.brookhinton.com
studio vlog/blog: www.brookhinton.com/temporalab

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to