Adrian,
   I think the (1) micro-thumbnail poster approach is more viable than
the (2) interval video approach, because I can still scrub through my
captured video anyway. A lot of web video service can generate
thumbnails, but does anyone know of a desktop app that can do that?
Perhaps an Applescript / Quicktime SMIL guru here?

Such an app could be useful for those of us who videoblog as well ;)

Kevin Lim
http://theory.isthereason.com
email locator: ╔╗╔═╦╗ ║╚╣║║╚╗ ╚═╩═╩═╝