He had the law bookmarked in his Blackberry - they didn't care.  He
must have been playing nice enough at that point for them to be
willing to look at what he was showing them.  That probably only made
it worse.  Any kind of resistance or discussion is a red rag to a bull.
To prove how belligerent they were, and how determined to abuse their
power, they added on charges for obstructing traffic and speaking
unreasonably.

I think the most effective thing you could carry in New York is a
copy of this article from the NY Times, showing that the police have
lost similar cases and it's cost them dearly.  But pulling it out
would probably only make things worse.  The only way to avoid being
arrested is to plead ignorance, pretend to be a nice middle class
tourist and delete your photograph.

The relationship between police and public has changed and is out of
control.
It's been this way for many visible minorities for a long time - now
for everyone.

But it won't be long before the law is changed, like it has just been
in the UK.  Something vague and unthreatening sounding, that won't
motivate all those petitions and protests.  Something that comes in
through the counterterrorism backdoor.

We've a long way to go before this tide turns.  Our children's
generation will have to fight for freedom of expression all over again.

It's got so bad that when I write emails like this, I worry about
being turned back at the border.