The more important question is what program you want to use for
editing.  If you need Final Cut Pro and can spend $1300 on it, you
need to get a Mac.  If you just need basic editing or even medium-
featured editing, it doesn't really matter whether you have Mac or PC
- you can use Sony Vegas on a PC ($50) and iMovie on a Mac (free).
Then it's a question of what you use in the rest of your life.  If
they're surrounded by PCs at work and home, some people prefer to
stick with PC - just make sure you get a PC with a speedy processor
and lots of RAM.
I've been using Macs for video for 10 years, and I prefer the
interface.  But I've also use PCs a lot for work, and have done some
video using Vegas, and it's pretty good too - better in some ways than
iMovie, but not as good as the much more expensive Final Cut Pro if
you want to do lots of fancy stuff.  So it's all about what you're
going to use it for and what you're comfortable with.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv