I´ve never been to NY, but my first visit will probably include a trip to
B&H - everyone talks about that store.

   I understand your frustration, and you are right - its no small amount of
money and you´re going to be stuck with that camera for a bit of time.

   But... if it makes you feel better (maybe it won´t) we have no similar or
even remotely close option to a store like B&H in my country (Portugal). And
I´m not sure theres anything like it in Europe, except maybe London. Also, I
understand the need for the store to keep expensive gear under control.

   The rental ideas sound good, you can make a real live street test for a day.
Not many rental facilities here either ;)... but hey, we´ve got sun and good
food!

   Miguel.