On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:43 AM, kimwaldauer <k...@cubenews1.com> wrote:
> I've been working on a Wordpress 'staging' site for a while (upgrades,
> plugins, etc) and now it's finally ready to overwrite my existing live
> Wordpress site! YAY! I fear I'm too tech-green to do it without breaking my
> live site! BOO!
>
> Both sites are on the same server. If I understand, I need to copy databases
> and import posts from the staging site to the live site. Is it really that
> simple??? (I'm doubting it...) Anyone out there in videoblogging land have
> experience doing this and willing to 'virtually' hold my hand through the
> process?
>
> Any advice is greatly appreciated!
> Kim

I just transferred my existing Wordpress site to a new domain name
(www.eevblog.com)

I was totally expecting the break everything, muck around with
databases, edit script files or whatever, but it went totally
seamlessly, no work required at all.

I simply copied my entire wordpress directory from my old site's
subdirectory to my new sites subdirectory and it all simply worked. So
the database links all still worked. In fact I could operate both
sites at the same time sharing the same database, but I evetually
redirected all traffic form the old site to the new one.

So I don't think you should have to touch the databases at all,
Wordpress seems very tolerant of being moved around and copied over
etc. Simply just overwrite your new site with your staging files and I
think there is a good chance it will just all work. Of course, back up
your entire live site first just in case something goes horribly
wrong!
When you touch databases and things, that's when things can go
horribly wrong. But if you just play around with your site files you
shouldn't(?) be able to damage anything in your database. If something
goes wrong ,just copy your old files back and you back running.

Good luck.

Dave.