Hello,

I havent finished reading the document yet, but from what Ive read so far the
key is the scope, and they certainly dont want to include all uk youtubers etc
in this, especially as this is a more pro-active form of regulation than the
FTC stuff in that VOD broadcasters have to register as being such with the
regulators.

Its basically aimed at online equivalents of TV networks/broadcasters.  Again
there are probably some murky areas where only time will tell how this is
handled, eg if you produce a heck of a lot of content that is 'tv show-like'
and have tons of viewers then its possible you'd start to slip within their
scope. That could get quite messy as there is more regulatory burden with these
rules than the FTC stuff, but as the regulator themselves likely dont want this
burden any more than the creators, this scenario may well never happen. Maybe
there will be a test case at some point which will allow these issues to be
explored with more concrete detail, maybe not, anyway as the UK rules are based
on EU legislation I would be keen to know the detail of how other EU countries
have implemented this stuff within their own national laws.

Certainly if the scope of these rules ended up being very broad and encompassed
the uk vlogosphere, then the fact that a collection of companies from the
industry get to do some of the regulating would become a huge issue. The idea
of these corps policing the little man would crate a big stink, and the
companies, the government regulator and the masses would have a nightmare on
their hands. But I take this as a sign that thats not a scenerio they want to
get into with this regulation, rather than a sign that the government & corps
want to bind & crush us.

Regarding my failure to take slippery slope concepts seriously, I do not
completely rule out that things are sometimes just 'the tip of the iceberg'.
But as its possible to imagine icebergs everywhere, in every area of life,
politics, policy law, every time someone suggested doing anything pro-active at
all, I prefer not to get carried away with hyping the threat. I think I
recently rad a US news item about a man who was doing census work for the fed
who ended up dead, and some people were suggesting that a right wing blogger
who had implied that census data was being collected with the purpose of
putting US citizens in concentration camps in future, was a potential factor in
the sort of anti-fed sentiment that can sometimes go too far and lead to loss
of life.

Having said all that, on occasions in the past where some were predicting or
fearing that corporations will try to crush vloggers ability to vlog, I
suggested it was more likely that government would be more likely to impose
restrictions on vvloggers than corporations, although that was partly because I
have trouble with the idea that corporations see indy vloggers as a threat to
their domination.

Cheers

Steve Elbows