comments below

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:43 AM, ~ FluxRostrum <fluxrost...@graffiti.net>wrote:

> this sounds like a Net Neutrality End Around to me.
>
> http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/youtube-bandwidth/
> "Now if you are Google, you might even begin asking Comcast to pay up to
> connect its Google Tubes straight to their local cable ISP networks. That
> way, YouTube videos and Google search results would show up faster, letting
> the ISP brag that YouTube doesn’t stutter on their network, a potential
> commercial advantage over its DSL competitors.
> “Who pays whom is changing,” Labovitz said. “All sorts of negotiations are
> happening behind closed doors.”
> Unfortunately, few will know the outcomes of those talks, since most of the
> net’s architecture, let alone the financial machinations behind them, remain
> a secret cloaked in nondisclosure agreements."

Wow, I love it... right now it's hilarious to see the big guns duking it
out. Comcast getting greedy, now google being able to give comcast the smack
down and turn the tables.

It's hilarious only because the sh*t hasn't trickled down and kicked the
little guys like us in the balls making us second class citizens.

What's so funny and indeed *hopeful* is that this is perhaps the first time
that the little guys haven't been the first to be marginalized.

It's great that net neutrality may soon be law... but until it is we must
remain ever vigilant.

a) google won't always be "not evil"... it's gaining tremendous market power

b) without net neutrality well and encoded into law there is a constant
threat of traffic shaping and deal making.  Even after it is in law the
threat of secrete deal making will continue, but until its in law there's
absolutely nothing we can do to find out about or protect ourselves from net
neutrality abuses but beat our chests in unison and blog foul.

> Solidarity,
> ~FluxRostrum

 Solidarity indeed,

-Mike

> current project
> http://MobileBroadcastNews.org
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> homebase
> http://Fluxview.com
>
> ~~~
> NOTICE:  NOTHING HAS CHANGED.
> Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have
> read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this
> without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor
> protection.
> ~~~
>
> Cash Back When You Shop.
> http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=FluxRostrum
> ~~~
> 4. It was all a lie
>     Posted by: "Jay dedman" jay.ded...@gmail.com kinshasa2000
>     Date: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:19 am ((PDT))
>
> This post has been making the rounds. Yourube actually doesnt pay much in
> bandwidth costs because google owns much of its own fiber network.
> http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/youtube-bandwidth/
>
> Google is now responsible for at least 6 percent of the internet’s traffic,
> > and likely more — and may not be paying an ISP at all to serve up all
> that
> > content and attached ads.
> >
> > Credit Suisse made headlines this summer when it estimated that YouTube
> was
> > binging on bandwidth, losing Google a half a billion dollars in 2009 as
> it
> > streams 75 billion videos. But a new report from Arbor Networks suggests
> > that Google’s traffic is approaching 10 percent of the net’s traffic, and
> > that it’s got so much fiber optic cable, it is simply trading traffic,
> with
> > no payment involved, with the net’s largest ISPs.
> >

> Jay
>
> --
> http://ryanishungry.com
> http://jaydedman.com