This goes to the heart of what videoblogging is, I think.

- What is the content?
- Why do people do it?
- Where do they do it?
- How many of them are there?
- What do they have in common with each other?

The truth is that people are making wildly different types of content
and have massively different interests and reasons for doing this.
But back in the early days, we all had this huge thing in common,
which was that we were early adopters, imagining what the future would
look like and how the tech would work.  I think that made up the main
part of what people would talk about when they met in groups, right?
And because there were just a few people around the world, it felt
like a special mission, deserving of extraordinary expense and time.
Now that future is here and most of the unknowns are pretty much
known, that's one massive incentive to meet up that's been removed.
The rest of what we do is done online, so travelling hundreds or
thousands of miles to hang out and chat in person just doesn't have
the same pull.

But meeting up to either work on projects or screen things might be
different.

Still, I notice that most conferences are very local - city-
specific.   Attracting a larger base of people mostly interested in
commercial applications of technology so they can justify taking the
day off and expensing the conference fee...

So if we were to do more of these kind of things, I think they'd have
to be local.  (i'm sure this is why VlogEurope has kept going for 5
years).

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 5 Dec 2009, at 19:51, Michael Verdi wrote:

> Maybe another part of another not happening is that I think there were
> two big motivations (figure stuff out and meet each other in person)
> and there's really not a lot of urgency behind them anymore. There's
> only so many conferences on the figuring the tech stuff out that you
> can have. The information has been pretty well disseminated. I
> recently went to a local brown bag coworking session and a few people
> were doing a presentation on videoblogging. It was really strange
> because it was almost an exact replica of a demo I've given over and
> over yet, nobody there had any idea who I was (not that they should).
> So it feels like, especially for this group, that that part has been
> taken care of. As for the meeting in person aspect, that still happens
> but just on a smaller scale at other conferences. I live an hour down
> the road from SXSW and a few times in recent years I've just gone up
> there to meet people for lunch and dinner. The Open Video Conference
> was cool this last summer - a good sized group of us hung out there.
>
> -Verdi
>
> --
> Michael Verdi
> http://michaelverdi.com